105/120/Estelle alternator

So the alternator of my 120GLS gave up the spirit and stopped charging, changing the brushes is a no go because it is rusted shut tight, so I chucked it into the side and took an AC DELCO 10SI alternator I had left over from the days when I thought American cars were good.

The AC DELCO 10SI fits into the alternator bracket perfectly, but the adjustment rail does not because the 10SI has mounts in the 12 and 6 o'clock positions, the pal magnetron or whatever had them in the "I'm not done eating" positions I think.

What you can do is take a piece of scrap metal, bolt it to the 12 o'clock ear, lean it against the alternator body and bolt it to the adjustment rail.

Belt tension now can be adjusted by pivoting the whole rail instead, I do it that way instead of sliding it on the rail because my alternators somehow tend to slide to the end of the rail anyway for some reason, even the original one.

Wiring it is stupid simple, I am stupid and simple and managed to figure it out anyway.

The 10SI has only 2 wires, 3 if you count the positive cable goung to the starter solenoid.

The 2 pins at the top of the alternator in the voltage regulator should be labelled 1 and 2.

You can run wires from the Škoda voltage regulator straight to the alternator, shouldn't break anything. You might mix up the wires though because I had no idea which one goes where. If the alternator charges less than 14 volts, you got them backwards, flip them around.

Or you can just run the wire from pin number 2 to the positive terminal that hoes to the starter solenoid, pin 2 is only used to tell the alternator when to charge.

It shouldn't matter which one of the original voltage regulator wires goes to pin 1, at least for me both triggered the idiot light, I believe it's only used to excite the alternator.

You probably could fo away with the whole external regulator and run just some random 12v line to pin number 1, as long as the wire gets 12v when accessory power is on and shuts off when it should.

Tl;dr AC DELCO 10SI fits into a Skoda 742 105/120/Estelle with one simple modification

20220306_093814.jpg

20220318_173419.jpg

Edited by Iris_Heart
  • Like 2

If you still have the old alternator you might want to try this, I've never had to do it but I like the idea of cheap, quick, easy repairs. - how to fix a SEIZED alternator (Quick Fix) -