3rd gear not engaging

Hi. Having a bit of grief with 3rd gear on my 57 plate 1.2 htp70. All gears appear to engage from inside however when selecting 3rd all is fine until clutch is released and it grinds. On occasion a quick change or extra push of lever will work. I’ve tried reset on the linkage but even from under the bonnet the selector fork seems to run out of travel before it fully engages so I don’t think linkage is the issue.
any ideas??

It is engaging but jumps out under power, it means the synchro collar that locks the 3rd gear to the mainshaft after the baulk ring (or rings if its a 6 speed box) has done its stuff has the teeth burred over.

Given your comment about running out of travel and that it sometimes engages properly you may be lucky & find it is a detent problem but it is probably a bent or fractured selector fork.

• Like 2

The car is at 100k so has done well…. I was thinking more a selector issue rather than synchro as there is no rip of the gear when selecting and it feels right until the clutch is released. A push of the stick sometimes engages it then all good. I have just removed the shift tower and there is a fair bit of play on the shaft. I’ll try stripping this down and making up some new bushes. Any thoughts??

Should have said while driving, once it engages it stays in gear and doesn’t jump out. I’ve also tried rocking the car while attempting to select from under the bonnet and you can see the selector lever bouncing. If you give it a sharp tap the gear pops in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Could just be the wires to the gear selector, i had to change one of mine, it was a cumbersome afternoon but easily done if you can get the car somewhat of the ground.

It can also be worn bushings in the gear lever mechanism or by the gearbox, also easy to fix yourself.

Hi there. I have kind of ruled out the simple fix of an external selector problem. I’ve removed and inspected the selector tower. There was a lot of slop here so I’ve rebushed it and refitted. Still no luck. Moving the selector yoke by hand without any cables connected appears to engage all gears as you’d expect but if you rock the car in what should be third you can see and hear that it’s not engaged. If you push it with a sharp jab then bingo-it locks in. 
looks like the box will have to come out…..unless anyone else has any ideas???😩

you could try to engage the gears with the mechanism that on top of the gearbox itself. Leave the car in neutral so you can push it and feel if its in gear. if third engages then it is most likely the cable that's torn underneath or the rubber bushings on the cable connectors that just gone too soft.

• 1 year later...
On 09/06/2022 at 16:58, Peterc1978 said:

Hi. Having a bit of grief with 3rd gear on my 57 plate 1.2 htp70. All gears appear to engage from inside however when selecting 3rd all is fine until clutch is released and it grinds. On occasion a quick change or extra push of lever will work. I’ve tried reset on the linkage but even from under the bonnet the selector fork seems to run out of travel before it fully engages so I don’t think linkage is the issue.
any ideas??

Hi. Have you resolved this issue? I am facing the same problem on my MkII Fabia 1.6 MPI. The local Škoda garage are at their wits end after overhauling clutch and changing the flywheel. 
Thanks for any advice you could provide.