Electric tailgate problem on estate

Hi

The electric tailgate on my 2016 Superb SEL Exec Estate (63k miles) has suddenly stopped working. I have followed a recent thread about the struts, including a useful link to cheaper replacements on Ebay.

My symptoms are as follows:

• When the tailgate is fully opened and the closing button is pressed and then released, there is a short bleep followed by two clicks. However, the tailgate does not lower. On occasions it lowers a little and then stops.

• When the tailgate is closed and the opening button is pressed there are two clicks, but the tailgate does not open itself.

Before purchasing replacement struts and getting them fitted by my usual independent garage, is there any way of checking that it is these that are at fault? I am aware that there is a control module, but I don’t know where it is located. I have also heard that the system can be ‘reset’, but other than setting the height of opening (which I have tried) I can find no reference to this.

Any help in a diagnosis would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul R T 

• Groan 1