Bolero replacement - what functionality is in radio, what is in car?

I'm looking at replacing the Bolero head in my Octavia with an aftermarket unit from Pioneer/Alpine or similar. What I'm not sure about is which functions are in the radio head unit and which are in the car electronics, and what other radio display related functions will work.  I've had a punt around on the Internet but not found an answer.

I'm assuming the controls on the left of the steering wheel will change to operate the radio volume/select and the right hand controls still control the car MFD etc?  

The Bluetooth phone system is the "Premium" version which has the 3G module and roof aerial. Is this part of the radio (i.e., will go if the radio is replaced) or is it an independent part of the car electronics. If it's part of the car, will this work with a replacement head unit? Also on the phone integration, would the voice control work with a replacement head unit?

Will the parking sensor and aircon displays work with a new head unit? I'm thinking of adding a reversing camera but it'd be nice to retain the ultrasonic sensors as well.

The sound system is pretty basic with speakers/tweeters in the doors - are these driven from the radio or from a separate amp?

I think that's it for now! Any help appreciated :)

-- Mike

Hi Mike,

I’ll keep an eye on this one as I’m after much the same answer. In my case I also have the Bolero which appears to have no Bluetooth/ telephone facility.

Our other car is a 2013 Civic and whilst the standard radio unit  is dreadful it does have BT options so that we can listen to Spotify, take calls and hear Google maps directions through it. I would like to find an aftermarket unit to allow us to achieve this. 

The selection of units at places like Halfords seem to subject you to a disco-like performance of flashing lights and complications, is there anything anyone can recommend at a reasonable sub-£300 price range.

Thanks

Steve

Hi,

When I had the same model as you have I changed to a unit from the Erisin range and these worked well for me. You may need a new surround as if you currently have the non Nav radio the screen size is smaller. most retain all the current on screen car functions and most have the ability to have a rear view camera and Sat Nav. You will need an antenna adapter to inject power to power up the roof antenna 

John 

• Like 1