front lower fog lights

hi there i have a superb elegaance 2012 i dont understand the lighting. you turn on main beam and the lower fog lights  come on  i thought that they are only on if you pull to the first position on the rotary  lights switch and at night then just as its one of them decide to go out and come back on then a few minutes later the other one goes out then comes on again  a few minutes later.i am electrical aware thinking i have intermittent bulb problem but i have checked and i have other bulbs that i have fitted does the same thing and  now in daylight  i switch on main beams and the lower lights are not on but if i pull to first position  on rotary light switch both lower lights come on. am i going crazy what .do these lower lights ever suppose to be on when the fog light switch is not operated

I think you're referring to the cornering light function of the fog lamps.  Also, they come on when you select reverse gear.  However, they shouldn't come on with main beam. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thanx for reply I can confirm that's what it was. But the lights do not come on with side lights but come on in low beam and full beam .I don't know why they would not come on with high beam seems that should be correct

2 hours ago, partyanimalcars said:

Yes thanx for reply I can confirm that's what it was. But the lights do not come on with side lights but come on in low beam and full beam .I don't know why they would not come on with high beam seems that should be correct

They don't come on with what you refer to as "high beam" because as the Highway Code indicates...

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

In which case, you wouldn't want to use them with high beam. 

17 minutes ago, partyanimalcars said:

But they do come on with high beam but only on full lock left or right lock but when it's facing traffic straight on no fogs 

Yes, they're enabled as cornering lights and there must be a clause in the Type Approval that allows for that function.