Illusive suspension knock. 07 MkII octavia hatch 1.6 MPI.

Have, this knock is doing my head in knock. Had a 2 mechanics look at the rear suspension both say, there's nothing obvious. New shocks and drop links. All the bushs look ok, but i think there original 07. Is it possible old soft bushs would cause a knock but leave no witness marks? Thanks for any input, on the verge of setting a fire. :)

true, but there is rubber inside so they can deteriorate over time but difficult spot just by sight alone 

I had a bad ns rear top mount that went bad and that did made a knocking noise but os one was still fine at 200k

Try identifying which corner the knocking noise is coming from and worth changing it, to see if it eliminates the noise as the mounts are only £15 each, and should take no longer than half a hour to change.

also worth checking that the coil springs are not broken at the bottom of the control arm, as sometimes a tiny bit can break away from the base of the coil spring

Thanks for the input. Yes that's the only thing left i feel. My mounts are 40 to 50 a pop. Off to skibb tomorrow see if they have them, if not autodoc or some such. Judging by the low milage when i bought the car, all the rear is original, so worth changing them.

Are you certain the shocks are new?

I saw a top mount that had essentially had its centre pushed through from corrosion, it knocked like hell.