Low Tyre Pressure After Wheel Change

Joyful88

I had the front right tyre of my 2021 Skoda Scala changed after a puncture from a nail. The following day, a message came up saying there was low pressure in the front left tyre. I had it checked and it was fine, so we reset the message, but it came on again. I’ve read that this can happen if you’ve had a tyre changed because of the difference the system picks up. How would I go about correcting the system so it accepts the values of the new tyre and doesn’t assume the opposite one is under inflated?

Please give simple instructions, as I’m not very knowledgeable about cars!

Hello and welcome Joyful88 :hi:

Are all the tyre pressures correct?

Are all the tyres the same size? (might sound daft, but let's be sure)

And where you say reset the message' you've gone into Car > Settings > Tyres on the infotainment and confirmed the tyre pressures are set?

If that's all done, then you shouldn't get further alerts unless something changes to when it was reset.

Have you had any work done around the brakes?  If I'm right, your TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) works via the ABS system and detects minor changes in the ABS monitoring - usually changes in the circumference of a tyre because of a change in tyre pressure.

I suppose there is the possibility you do have a problem with the offside front (slow puncture maybe), just that it's not been discovered yet.

Gaz

• Like 1

Yes, the tyre pressures are all correct. The garage said the new tyre was the equivalent of what was previously there, so I can only assume it’s the same size. They were also the ones to reset the low tyre pressure message when it came up, but I’m pretty sure that’s how they did it. I’ve had no other work done on the car. 

The warning was most likely generated because of the difference in wear between the two front tyres. Have you checked the tyre markings on the new tyre are actually the same as the one opposite? 

The other possibility is that they reset it with one cold (new) tyre, and three warm ones.  So the tyre pressures may be differing due to temperature.  Leftfield but possible.

Perhaps try another reset now. If it does nothing else it’ll at least eliminate temperature differences as being causative.

Gaz

• Like 2

It does not matter if the tyre is a slightly different size / pressure, or 2 on an axle are not the same.

Like when a spare might be fitted.

That is why you are RESETTING the TPMS.  So that it registers the setting.  Circumference and then notices a difference from the setting.

So car stopped, RESET, and then after a while of driving it should be logged / registered. 

The bigger cars, Superb / Kodiaq might well disable the ACC / CC or other features when there is a very odd one out size, but should not give a 'TPMS' warning.

There are threads where people did have issues with the very wrong size spare some Superb with Haldex got as Space Savers and the ABS / TC nipping the brakes and causing a hazard as people drove too far, and maybe too fast with too small a tyre.

That is a different kettle of worms, or can of fish.

Edited by toot
  • Like 1