Smell of petrol near back of car

citigoluke

Hello everyone,

I've recently noticed that i can smell petrol fumes around the area of the car where the petrol cap is.  The smell is only present whilst the car is running or just after a journey.

Does anyone know of any common faults that could be causing this?

Much apprecriated,

Luke

Welcome.

Sounds like a new cap required. The seal might be damaged, i don't think it is any vent pipe that the issue as it is sealed incase the car goes on its roof.

Check the filler flap area, is it free of rust on the body and not had some repairs at a bodyshop. 

Pinned thread at top of this section on corrosion around there.

If not fuel cap, then it might be LP feed or return hose damage, or couplings on them. Or possibly the seal on the sender/fuel pump assembly on the top of the tank. There is a big screw-on ring that holds the assembly in the top of the tank. Sniff around the plastic cap that cover the access hole to the tank.

Thanks for the help guys, the problem seems fixed now.

I've changed the seal around the petrol cap last week and haven't smelt any fumes since.  Once I prized the seal off it looked like there were a couple of big cracks which would have been letting the petrol through.

I assume this is a fairly common fault, as the local skoda dealership immediately knew which part i was talking about and had a bunch of them in stock out the back?

• Like 1