Gear stick topper.

Hi all, new to the site and ownership of a SE VRS. I'm trying to get my hands on the gearstick topper, (which has the vrs logo and the place of the gears) as mine is worn. 

I'd anyone would be able to advise where I could find one it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, 

• 3 months later...

Hi all, sorry to resurrect old thread, does anyone know where I can buy 6Y0798002 in 2024?

Main dealer doesn't stock them anymore, none seem to come up on eBay etc.

Have supplies finally dwindled of this repair cap? 😓

Thanks!

Hi Thesoso, my search tuned up nothing. A few scrap yards had some poor examples and I heard of a few parts kicking around on Latvia and Czechia. However, I couldn't confirms these, as the sites did not seem legit, and I didn't want to gamble the 70 euro on a part that may not exist. I'm still looking locally, but it seems to me like it may be better to try and find somebody who is skilled enough to refurb the original. 

If you're search brings up another topper, it'd be great if you let me know! They seem to be one in a million these days. 

I just looked and nothing from what I can see in the U.K.  I easily found the item on a site called Wagen shop in France but this has terrible reviews so beware!
Others available elsewhere in Europe but my language skills are not good enough to decipher!

Another possibly less attractive option is to buy a generic 6 speed gearstick for a Skoda Fabia Mk 1 from EBay. 

Thanks for the reply guys. I did find one on a site called Alvadi, but it was £60 by the time you add postage and on back order until May 😐

My gear stick was deteriorating anyway, so I managed to find a 5 speed Octavia mk1 kn0b/gaiter of eBay for £30. It's in great condition but my fabia VRS is a 6 speed...it'll do for now.

Perhaps I'll use the old face plate and either give a hand at restoring or at least wrapping it.

Custom waterslide decal and some clear coat might do the job.

On my five speed, I tried removing the chrome top from the topper and it was a mess!
Probably your best option would be to remove and wrap the replacement part you have bought. It does not need to have the 6 speed logo on as I’m sure you don’t look at the gear stick when you are changing gear!

I considered a 5 speed replacement, but I'm going to hang on and see what I can find. I've seen a few mk1 gearsticks go for sale in breakers yards, but they all seem to have the same issue. Knowing I'm not skilled enough to paint the topper means I've got the added problem of trying to find somebody with a steady hand.. 

12 minutes ago, prt57 said:

I’m sure you don’t look at the gear stick when you are changing gear!

You are totally right, I am just a little OCD about these things...

1 minute ago, Slash112000 said:

Knowing I'm not skilled enough to paint the topper means I've got the added problem of trying to find somebody with a steady hand.. 

I'm definitely not skilled enough! I would be going down the route of scanning the original artwork and having a decal made! 🤣 Maybe a bit OTT for a car with 150k on it.

Just now, Thesoso said:

You are totally right, I am just a little OCD about these things...

I'm definitely not skilled enough! I would be going down the route of scanning the original artwork and having a decal made! 🤣 Maybe a bit OTT for a car with 150k on it.

Can relate with the OCD thing. 

My issue is that mine has less than 60 on the clock, and the rest of the car is mint. And the gearstick winds me up every time in the car... Doing a scan on the original might be a good idea, although not sure where you'd be able to find it.