Screen Washer Conundrum

Hi  all. Just acquired a 63 plate Roomster 2 and tidying up a few bits n bobs. The front and rear wipers work fine. The rear washer works fine. The front washer does nothing. I blew "back" through the tubes and they are all clear. Do the rear and front washers have separate terminals? Is it just a replacement pump unit I need. I'm sure the first time I tried the fronts a little bit of liquid came out 🤣

Cheers Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

So.... have replaced the screen wash pump and still only the rear window washer is working. Should I now be looking at the stalk on the steering column?

Hi Rich 🤘

The pump comes on when I push the stalk away. I tried a different pump. Same thing: so am now assuming that it's the contact in the stalk itself?

• Like 1

Ok so, just to be clear, it doesn't work when you pull it towards you?

If that is correct then I think you're on the right track with the connection in the stalk. Try giving it a clean with contact cleaner before you go buying a new one. It might just be gunked up.

Thanks Rich. That's the plan. Few little electrical niggles... this and the left mirror has a broken wire somewhere... mirror works fine when attached to r/h side. 

23 hours ago, Stoo63 said:

Thanks Rich. That's the plan. Few little electrical niggles... this and the left mirror has a broken wire somewhere... mirror works fine when attached to r/h side. 

No bother.

The rubber bellows where the wiring goes from the car into the door will be your best starting point for the mirror issue I would say.

Success with the washers! A liberal squirt of electrical vontsct cleaner at the base of the stalk, left for a minute or so and Bingo! BOTH washers working now. Didn't even have to remove any plastics. If only everything could be do simple.... on to the mirror issue next 🤔

• Like 2