Wiring loom; Used Car Warranty

I took my Fabia to a VAG indie today for diagnosis of the inoperative passenger side electric door mirror. I have an Autoguard Premium used car warranty that expires today (though when I called Autoguard last week they kindly gave me an extra 7 days). They diagnosed a fault with the wiring loom on that side and they have contacted Autoguard to see if they will authorise a claim and are now waiting for a reply. Only the diagnosis, not the repair needs to be done before the warranty expires.

The warranty specifically states that it covers electric window motors and switches but I've a horrible feeling they're going to turn down the claim, as it's neither of those. Does anyone have any experience regarding wiring looms and warranty cover. The quote was approx £265 inc 1.5hrs labour. I've already paid £60 for the diagnosis (reading the warranty booklet, if they accept the claim, they will pay for diagnosis (so I should get it back), otherwise they won't).   

Think I've answered my own question by going back to the warranty booklet;

Components & failures not covered

Electrical connections, LED's LCD's, all internal & external lamps, wiring looms and batteries.

So, how difficult would a self repair be? Is the affected wiring loom coming from the fuse box? Maybe, a single wire into the door could be rejoined with bullet connectors or similar? 

There's a plug/socket pair at the A-pillar, the wires that break are part of the door loom side of that connection, within the rubber boot. 

Access is awkward for in-situ repair, but do-able with patience and a modicum of dexterity and soldering and heatshrinking.

(Door) Loom replacement is the official fix, but there are a multitude of kits on ebay etc that consist instead of just the female connector, plenty of pre-crimped contact inserts with short wires to fit into it, and you just cut and shut these into the existing door loom beyond the point where they flex in the door hinge area.

Solutions for all.

And a 1/4 of the price of the diagnosis!

I'm glad to see that it was an Indie that charged for looking at the vehicle and not the garage that sold it to you, these warranties are a goldmine for them and provide a convenient smokescreen for them to hide behind while avoiding their responsabilities.

Yes, there are threads with photos and descriptions of process. 

Most mk2 Fabias and Roomsters currently on the road will have at least one broken, or repaired door loom wire, I expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Yes, there are threads with photos and descriptions of process. 

Most mk2 Fabias and Roomsters currently on the road will have at least one broken, or repaired door loom wire, I expect.

Blimey, if I'd known that, I wouldn't have wasted my money on the diagnosis. Should've asked on here first!

On 18/03/2024 at 19:08, phs12 said:

Think I've answered my own question by going back to the warranty booklet;

Components & failures not covered

Electrical connections, LED's LCD's, all internal & external lamps, wiring looms and batteries.

So, how difficult would a self repair be? Is the affected wiring loom coming from the fuse box? Maybe, a single wire into the door could be rejoined with bullet connectors or similar? 

Confirm claim turned down.

Their sales department keep calling me though, presumably to ask if I want to renew, lol!

Estimate is £105 Labour, £105.50 loom + £42.10 VAT.