16" to 17"; what tyres?

Bill Cameron

I'm changing from 16" x 6.5" to 17" x 7" on my Fabia vRS. Current tyre size is 205/45/16.

The optimum tyre size is 205/40/17 which gives a sidewall of 3.2" - a reduction of 0.4" compared with the existing. To maintain a similar sidewall (and comfort factor) I'd need to fit 205/45/17. I'm aware this would increase the dymanic rolling radius by 0.5" and the speedo will read 4.3% slow but have any of you guys already fitted this size and what is your opinion? Are there any issues with rubbing on adjacent bits for instance?

Or, what about 215/40/17? Comfort factor isn't as good as 45, but better than 40, and the other factors are pretty close to the optimum. I take it that 215's are fine on 7" rims.

Any informed input appreciated.

Can't offer advice on rubbing etc - but a 'given' is a harder ride and the possibility of more punctures due to potholes.

That's precisely the point; I wish to avoid the "given" by choosing the 45 in preference to the recommended 40 aspect.

What I'm hoping for is input from anyone who has gone ahead and fitted the 45 to their 17" rims.

That's precisely the point; I wish to avoid the "given" by choosing the 45 in preference to the recommended 40 aspect.

What I'm hoping for is input from anyone who has gone ahead and fitted the 45 to their 17" rims.

Doh - me skimming again, read the 'optimum' and my eyes glazed over somehow after that :sofahide:

To my knowledge, I don't know anyone that's tried 205/45/17.

I'm running 215/40/17 now and I'm fairly impressed with the ride. Slightly less compliancy, as you can imagine, but good nonetheless. I am running FSDs these days though, which I know is helping a fair bit. I ran the same size wheel and tyre on my 1st Fabia and it was a bit more 'crashy'. What suspension setup do you have?

Steve

To my knowledge, I don't know anyone that's tried 205/45/17.

I'm running 215/40/17 now and I'm fairly impressed with the ride. Slightly less compliancy, as you can imagine, but good nonetheless. I am running FSDs these days though, which I know is helping a fair bit. I ran the same size wheel and tyre on my 1st Fabia and it was a bit more 'crashy'. What suspension setup do you have?

Steve

Bog standard.

On balance i think I'll opt for the 215/40/17's. Now that that's taken care of the next question is; what is likely to be the most compliant tyre? - along with anti aqua planing qualities that's more of a priority than wet/dry grip.

Any suggestions are welcome but be quick please I need to fit the 17's tomorrow!!!

Will be interested to see pics Bill, but I fear it may look a little 'off road' with 17s fitted. Eibach Pro-Kit may then become your friend? :)

I'd go with T1-Rs, ordered from Camskill.co.uk for best prices. Next-day delivery is included in already very competitive pricing. Alternatively Kumho KU-31.

EDIT: On reflection of your posted needs, I'd probably go for Uniroyal RainSport 1s. But they do tend to be a bit noisier than others.

Steve

Will be interested to see pics Bill, but I fear it may look a little 'off road' with 17s fitted. Eibach Pro-Kit may then become your friend? :)

I'd go with T1-Rs, ordered from Camskill.co.uk for best prices. Next-day delivery is included in already very competitive pricing. Alternatively Kumho KU-31.

EDIT: On reflection of your posted needs, I'd probably go for Uniroyal RainSport 1s. But they do tend to be a bit noisier than others.

Steve

Thank you Steve,

Can get Kumho's at cheapo price so will take your advice and go with these. Guess my note re-anti aqua planing brought Uniroyal iinto the frame, but the "noisier" aspect knocks them back out. I'll get a check price though.

Considering -20mm on Weitec's from local Jabba agent.

I'll send pics on the standard suspension.

No probs - look forward to seeing the end result.

Weitecs - a good Eibach alternative, let's here an idea on price when you have it. Being owned by KW their reputation is good.

Steve