tips on replacing rear pads

I have recently replaced rear pads using a retract tool borrowed from my neighbour (retired motor mechanic) After disconnecting handbrake cable from caliper I mounted the caliper onto the top bolt hole to prevent strain on brake pipe (see pics) I was advised to smear some oil on the rubber seal so when the piston is wound in it wont tear the seal.I cleaned any rust and crud from the area where the shims fit and removed any burrs on the pads to ensure a sliding fit. The offside piston was semi seized and I needed help from my neighbour to wind it in. There is no way I could have done this without the tool,Ialso smeared some copper grease on the mating surace between hub and alloy wheel to prevent wheel corroding on to hub.

Hope this helps someone

17093.attach

17094.attach