Squeeeeek!!!

Ch

Hi y'all

I've been the proud owner of an ex-demo (7k miles on 07 plate) Octy 1.9TDi 4x4 for exactly 5 weeks, and all was going peachy until last weekend when I drove through some "gritty puddles" and the car developed a squeek!

Now I've had this before in other cars when some dirt gets into the brakes, but that usually rights itself pretty quickly. This time, however, the blooming thing's been squeeeking at me for about a week now.

The noise is definetly related to the wheels turning, and doesn't go away or change pitch when the brakes are applied, or even just the handbrake nicked on.

I was sure that it was comining from the front off-side wheel, so I jacked up the car today and had a look - the wheel runs free, no play either to suspect a bearing, and the CV boot's intact and in good shape (as I'd expect given the age and milage of the car).

Has anyone got any ideas? I would like to have a guess before I take it to the dealers.

All suggestions (even rude ones) are gratefully requested...

I had the exact same set of symptoms on a Nissan Primera. Rhythmic squeaking noise from the F/N/S wheel - not related to braking whatsoever but obviously related to the speed of the car. Turned out to be a duff CV joint in the end despite the car being 6 months old and the CV boot was in perfect nick.

Might be worth visually inspecting the brake pad faces to be 100% sure there isn't any grit in them. Also check there aren't any stones between the brake disc and the heat shield - unlikey but one more possibility to tick off the list.

Many years ago I worked in a garage and a Triumph Herald or Vitesse came in with a squeak from one front wheel. A very small stone was wedged between the brake disc and back plate - which would fit in with your experience of driving on gritty roads.

Guess i had the same or similar problem! I fixed it a few weeks ago at my dealer. Turned to be a small stone stuck under the brake piston in it's frame/carrier which was making a terrible squeeeeking noise rubbing on the brake disc! You'll have to go to your dealer to fix it because of taking off the wheel and the piston!

Just an update - I took the rear offside wheel off and bent the metal shield that sits behind the disc away from me and a wee stone fell out...problem solved!!

Just incase anyone else experiences this problem in the future.