Octy VRS wins outright! ( i think.....)

The past couple of weeks have been tough deciding on my next car. I'm currently driving a VW passat which although I have had no complaints in the short time I've had it I felt like a change and something a bit more fun(yet practical too!).

The two unlikely bedfellows were an octy vrs and an alfa 159 both estates. The Alfa I have to say is an absolute stunner and the word is that it's the best Alfa ever in terms of build etc. If new, depreciation is an issue but I found a 1yr old 2.2 and it had already lost a whopping £10K and was the now the right price at £13.5K.

I've always kept a keen eye on skodas and I knew the octavia estate vrs ticks all the boxes, practical, reliable and sporty - image wise I was in too minds not helped by my mates classic skoda gags and repeated 'taxi' calls.

The only way to decide was to drive both and so I arranged to test drive both yesterday with my pal coming along for a second opinion. The Alfa looked great and went oK but nothing speical. Inside it was nicley styled but felt a bit cramped, but it did look rather nice. I would have probably bought it had it not been for what came next.

We had to travel to the skoda dealer in broxburn about 40miles from Glasgow to get a VRS to try but it was worth it. The dealer gave us the keys and simply asked to see us back in half an hour while he worked out a price for the passat. I have to say that within seconds both me and my co pilot were blown away. The power in the car was so immediate and smooth backed up by great handling and control. After weeks of deliberation our mind was made up in a matter of seconds. It is just such a good car to drive which combined with all the space and good reviews makes it a real winner.

The only problem I've got now is finding the right deal. The 06 car in broxburn at £15,800K is way over the odds but there are a few down south around £13K for 06 plates with 20,000mls. Vindis in cambridge are looking at a deal for me and are prepared to send an 06 with 25K mls in blue based on a deal based on email/phone assurances and a few pics on the skoda used car site. They are even prepared to take my passat on this basis also. They are curerntly working out a part ex price wo we will see(anyone dealt with vindis?)

I am now really focused on owning a vrs but am I mad to buy an approved one without even seeing it in person? Is there anything I shold be looking out for? Have I made the right choice? The only other thing is all the options, to be honest if its blue with 18" inch allows I'll be happy but is there any other essential option I should really make sure I get?

Opinions welcome - I'm close but need some help getting over the line!!

Golden rule: don't let the distance put you off a better deal, sometimes you have to travel for the right car.

As for options, try and get a car with the 18" alloy/dual zone climate/jumbo box/leccy rear window pack. It's a popular option and makes a big difference to the car (includes an AUX in socket in the later models).

The maxidot display is a good idea along with parking sensors. If you can stretch to it, get the xenons.

The above options are listed in order of importance (IMO)

These options will be tough to find on an approved car but there are some ex demo cars out there that are well specced.

Good luck with your purchase and the childish Skoda jokes are indeed very rare.

Well if you chose well you should bag yourself a good car :thumbup: I'm not sure what your budget is but I'd try and get a 2007MY car which is easily distinguishable as it has red brake calipers and also try and get the following options included:-

Essential Options:

18" Alloys - suit the car far better than 17's

Dual Zone Climate - way better than the standard A/C and includes an centre armrest (Jumbo Box!) and rear electric windows.

Metalic Paint - Blue should be very easy to find as it's by far the most popular colour althoufg I'd consider black personally ;)

Rear Parking Sensors - essential to avoid supermarket car park scrapes.

Xenons - way better than standard lights!

Maxidot - people on here will take the pee out of you if you dont have (trust me, I know!;))

Desirable Options:

Rain Sensing Wipers - which include auto tunnel lights.

Satnav - although it's easy to upgrade to this later at a fraction of the dealer costs.

Finaly, factor in the cost of a decent remap (around £550) and you'll have an absolute stunning car :thumbup:

cheers guys,

my budget is between about £13-15K. the car I'm thinking about is blue with 18" alloys. It's got climate control but not dual i think and has definately got a centre arm rest(does that mean it has a climate pack?).

The one i drove had parking sensors which seemed to be on all time at low speed!

My main concern is doing a deal over the phone without seeing it but I'm hoping an 'approved' vehicle shouldn't be a lemon.

Is there anywhere i can get a full detailed list of all the options/prices for a vrs?

If it has a central arm rest with a hinged lid it should have dual zone climate, there should be 2 LCD displays above the 3 climatronic dials. This will confirm what system is fitted.

Also have a look for a small headphone style socket in the centre armrest.

The skoda website has the standard spec listed as well as options.

Can the dealer give you the full car spec?

Assuming a main Skoda dealer, this should be a piece of cake and take seconds to rattle off.

If buying 'remotely', dad did it with his fully loaded Mazda 3 Sport and saved £4k on new local forcourt prices, just ask for it. It'll also help you gauge if the car is indeed priced correctly, and comes with everything you like about the car/are expecting to see.

As has been said, distance is no stopping force, and the more there is, often the better deal is had ;)

If this helps sanity check the prices you are seeing.

I just bought my June '06 VRS (TFSI) with 19K and Dual Zone CC, Met paint, rear electric windows and rear parking sensors for £13900 and that was from a Skoda dealer.

£15800 is crazy, you ca probably get a deal on a new one for a grand more!

Definately worth shopping around, I was also after onw with Maxi-dot but it was either that or the rear electric windows and parking sensors which have more value to me.

Good luck with the search!

£15800 is crazy, you ca probably get a deal on a new one for a grand more!

Agreed - I paid £14k (hatchback) with:

06 reg (07 model year)

11,000 miles

18" alloys

dual zone climate

rear elec windows

metallic paint

jumbo box (inc. aux input)

cruise control

And no, you're not mad buying an approved one with seeing it first - my octavia was the 3rd car I've bought this way and have been really happy every time. Just make sure you have the full spec and declaration of general condition (scrapes, bumps if any), on paper from the dealer before you hand over the deposit.

When the car arrives, if it's not EXACTLY what you were promised, reject it or negotiate further discount as appropriate.

EDIT: Just realised you didn't mention whether you were looking at petrol or diesel. Mine is a petrol for the price above. On average, I think the diesels are £750 - £1k more.

I agree pricing is suspect. I bought brand new TDI hatch with metallic dual zone park sensors and cuise for £17.2k in Aug, and this dealer also has a diesel Combi in on 56 plate park sensors and cruise in silver for £15.6k screen and 12k I think. Hope this helps, and you will not regret your purchase. As for the jokes, by the time Mr Audi/BMW/Merc has got to the punchline, you will be so far in front of him you will never hear it! :thumbup:

Can't speak for the Vindis branch you're looking at but I bought an ex-demo Passat from their Luton branch a few years ago and they were excellent to deal with, gave me a good p/ex and chucked in a few freebies (dog guard, mats etc) as well and the car was fantastic - I ended up keeping it for 160k miles!

I have to say that the only dealer I've used since that matched the service I got there was last January when I bought my Octy from Winchester Motor Co :thumbup:

cheers guys, bad news is that vindis in cambridge have now renaged on offer to take my car without seeing it so a trade in would require a trip down - they also want £400 to deliver if i sell mine privately. To be honest I don't like their attitude during the discussions.

I've seen a nice silver combi for £13,500 which is only 180 miles away so a bit more do able. Everyone says the maxidot is a must I'm still not too sure what it does?