Aircon not kicking in!

If you plug VAG-COM in and it points to the evaporator temperature sensor then yes, it is a common problem. Apogee has written an excellent guide on how to DIY change the sensor which a Skoda main dealer will want the dash out to do...

Chris

If it has stopped suddenly then, as mentioned above, the evaporator temp sensor is a common culprit. I had to replace mine last summer. If you don't have access to VAG COM then the sensor itself is only about £17 from your nearest dealer, so it might be worth replacing before you pay for any other repairs.

I followed ap0gee's extremely useful, step-by-step, illustrated guide at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/technical-guides/fabia-evap-temp-sensor-how-pics/66182/ and got it fixed in about 90mins. I don't have any mechanical/electrical knowledge, so it is a DIY job if you want to give it a go. The hardest part was slotting the new sensor into the right place because it's hard to get into a position where you can bend your arm at the right angle to do so. A bit of persistence paid off in the end and it did fix the problem.

Don't forget, you need to have the coolant toppped up every couple of years too. Kwik Fit do it for £45 - Other Products :: Air Conditioning

Thanks for all the replys guys!

Just bought one of those cans from Halfords and it has a gauge on it! it says its got lots of gas in but its a cheap nasty thing! how accurate are they? anyone used one of these? what pressure does the system need to be to kick the system in?

Thanks again

I got one of them cans from Halfords a while back - I was using it to measure and top-up a system that was working ok. I then used it on my girlfirends Alfa which hadn't worked for a year or so and adding the gas made it spring back into action . . . for a day or two . . . as there was a leak in the system.

I heard somewhere these things can do more harm than good. I wouldn't bother again as they are simply no substitute for having a proper aircon service where they vacum out your old gas, test for leaks then re-fill with correct ammount of lubricating oil and gas.

Your supposed to have an aircon service quite frequently - every 2-3 years I think - my last aircon serivce only cost me £40 as I shopped around.