Brake pads change

Hi All

My Superb 2.5 TDI has just completed 21200 miles and is 27 months old. garage have told me I need Rear Brake Discs and pads replaced (Discs rusty). I know i only have warning light for front pads - is this mileage ok for work needed. Also how long do you have (miles at normal driving) when front warning light does eventually come on before pads should be changed.

Thanks in advance for info

regards

The rear pads last about 20k miles with average use - the fronts a lot longer. Pad replacement is dead easy if you have the piston winding tool (£15 from GSF) but rear disk replacement is very unlikely to be necessary unless the pads have been run down to the backplates.

The rear disks tend to rust at the edges of the unswept area but there is no problem at all with disk thickness at that mileage. Just clean the rust lips off the disk before the new pads are fitted.

Another VAG dealer con.

rotodiesel.

Was told by dealer that my pads and discs were about half worn when I got a service at 45k miles. I bought the car when it had 25k on it, so have no idea if they were changed by previous owner. I am fairly light on brakes and harder on engine braking. I understand from another source that you can either half or double the average amount of mileage for brakes depending on driving style and conditions.