1.6 Petrol

Hello all, I am new to these forums but not really new to Skodas, having had a Fabia since 2001. The thing is that I have ordered a shiny new red Fabia 2 1.6 (that's the 103 bhp) but only before I happened to stumble on this forum.

I have noticed that this particular model is not all that popular round here, with most people opting for the diesel. I did actually drive the diesel but decided against it because I just don't do that many miles.

I suppose I am just looking for some reassurance before I get the car in June. I'm sure I will love it really!

Cheers.

I'm another petrol Fabia owner, I have a Fabia 3 estate with the 1.4 16v engine and I also did the calculations and found it would have taken too long to recover the additional cost of the diesel. I've owned two diesel cars in the past, one was perhaps one of the best cars I've owned and the other was the very worst.

Diesels are popular at the moment - but looking at petrol forecourts and seeing diesel prices now 10p/litre more expensive than petrol adding to that additional up-front cost, you need to be clocking up reasonable miles to get payback in a reasonable time frame. There was an interesting article in one of the car mags recently doing a diesel v's petrol comparison. It supported my decison to stick with petrol.

Today, my new Fabia, just coming up to 2 weeks old recorded its best mpg to date on my normal cross-country drive from work - 44.9 mpg. It's still improving.

You will love your new Fabia - it's a very good package of features/performance.

I also have a 1.6 Fabia. The 105bhp it has are enough for city and highway driving. The car is stable at high speeds and fast cornering through either city or country roads. Of course, it feels the need of being a bit lowered and with a stiffer suspension, but even with the stock one, it handles very well.

The front pillars will be a bit annoying at the beginning because you won't be able to see very well in corners.

I can't give you impressions of the 1.9tdi vs the 1.6mpi because I haven't driven the diesel yet. But I already know what I will say: 'The diesel is loud!'

Happy waiting! The reward will be a very nice car ;)

I've not seen a bad review of the 1.6 petrol on its own terms (some people may of course have a preference for diesel for reasons of economy or driving style). On balance the 1.6 is my favourite engine in the Fabia offering a good blend of performance, responsiveness and refinement. It has pretty reasonable torque of 114lbs so pulls well, and is lighter than the 1.9tdi. The c.£1000 price difference has its advantages too! I think you'll be pleased with your decision.

Hello all, I am new to these forums but not really new to Skodas, having had a Fabia since 2001. The thing is that I have ordered a shiny new red Fabia 2 1.6 (that's the 103 bhp) but only before I happened to stumble on this forum.

I have noticed that this particular model is not all that popular round here, with most people opting for the diesel. I did actually drive the diesel but decided against it because I just don't do that many miles.

I suppose I am just looking for some reassurance before I get the car in June. I'm sure I will love it really!

Cheers.

If you don't do the miles makes more sense to go for the 1.6, especially considering the difference in prices now between petrol ond diesel..... I'm sure your 1.6 will serve you well and at least you'll have the ability to rev it beyond 4.5k revs

I got the same impression as you from this forum. The petrol appeared never to be highly ratesd. However,.....

I picked up my 1.6 petrol level 3 last week after test driving the deisel. I found the diesels to be very loud in comparison. I understand that you get used to this but considering I would be doing less than 10k a year it didn't seem worth it.

i am extremly happy with the 1.6 petrol and am surprised by just how good it is. It corners great and you can really throw into a corner without any trouble. Ypu definately won't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my diesel but I bet the petrol engine is more refined. The diesel does boom rather a lot and is loud around town but on the open road it settles to very quiet whilst performance is great, especially 30/70mph. Road tax will continue to be an issue and whilst negligeable at the moment, could be more of an item soon. I pay £115 a year. You will love your Fabia. A great little car.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my Fabia on saturday and I have to say I absolutely love it. Quicker and more powerful than I expected and I seem to be getting roughly the same mpg as my old fabia (1.4 8 valve comfort). Very happy!

Pleased to hear all of the positive comments on the Fabia 1.6. Have just ordered a Fabia 3 Tiptronic following a test drive - needless to say I was very impressed.

Traded in my Avensis 2.2 diesel wanting to downsize and return to a full automatic petrol - the current automated manual semi autos appear to be somewhat flawed - DSG's excepted??

This will be my first experience of Skoda ownership.

Pleased to hear all of the positive comments on the Fabia 1.6. Have just ordered a Fabia 3 Tiptronic following a test drive - needless to say I was very impressed.

Traded in my Avensis 2.2 diesel wanting to downsize and return to a full automatic petrol - the current automated manual semi autos appear to be somewhat flawed - DSG's excepted??

This will be my first experience of Skoda ownership.

I have a Fabia 3 tiptronic, I don't think you will be dissapointed:thumbup:

Not as good as DSG obviously, but certainly one of the better auto's out there

Although you pay a slight penalty regarding mpg and road tax with a normal torque converted automatic, they are, in my opinion, much more pleasant to drive than the current semi autos such as the Toyota Auris, Yaris and Honda Civic i Shift etc. The only exception being the DSG's but unfortunately it is not yet available on the Fabia.

The Tiptronic gives the best of both world's, a very smooth auto mode plus the additional choice of clutchless sequential changes.

Must say I found the Fabia 1.6 Tiptronic very pleasant indeed providing more than adequate performance together with a nice addictive sounding exhaust note without being intrusive. Coming from a 2.2 turbo diesel I did wonder if I would miss the torque but the 1.6 Skoda did not dissapoint in the slightest.

Looking forward to picking it up next week and having a fully rested left peg.

Although you pay a slight penalty regarding mpg and road tax with a normal torque converted automatic, they are, in my opinion, much more pleasant to drive than the current semi autos such as the Toyota Auris, Yaris and Honda Civic i Shift etc. The only exception being the DSG's but unfortunately it is not yet available on the Fabia.

The Tiptronic gives the best of both world's, a very smooth auto mode plus the additional choice of clutchless sequential changes.

Must say I found the Fabia 1.6 Tiptronic very pleasant indeed providing more than adequate performance together with a nice addictive sounding exhaust note without being intrusive. Coming from a 2.2 turbo diesel I did wonder if I would miss the torque but the 1.6 Skoda did not dissapoint in the slightest.

Looking forward to picking it up next week and having a fully rested left peg.

You are very right about the noise it makes, comes from the fact that the throttle is still being held open while the revs drop. Good gearbox in a good little car, shame they don't do a sport tiptronic, no reason why not

hello fellow owners..although iam not new to skoda as we currently have an octavia td140 elegance but added a fabia 3 1.9tdi to our collection.We added rear electric windows and remote audio controls to the metallic silver paintwork.What a great car! only covered 400 miles so far but no rattles,squeeks or faults.

Skoda's performance figures for the tiptronic are about 1.4 seconds slower to 60 than the manual. Am I right in thinking the performance is tested in auto mode? Does anyone know if a torque converter auto, as in the Fabia tiptronic, is inherently slower than a manual (ie is there some power lost to the transmission), or can the performance figures be improved upon eg by using clutchless manual sequential changes? Thanks

Skoda's performance figures for the tiptronic are about 1.4 seconds slower to 60 than the manual. Am I right in thinking the performance is tested in auto mode? Does anyone know if a torque converter auto, as in the Fabia tiptronic, is inherently slower than a manual (ie is there some power lost to the transmission), or can the performance figures be improved upon eg by using clutchless manual sequential changes? Thanks

It's a torque converter auto, but it wont matter how the 0-60 is tested, because in Drive, Sport or Tiptronic the results will be the same, The Tiptronic mode shifts at the redline to protect the engine as it does in drive or sport. Natrually there is some power loss to the road and a little weight gain which is where the 1.4 seconds comes from

I can tell you though I have properly timed it at 10.1 seconds to 60, the sport mode is quite agressive and it integrates with the ESP system (Which is why it is standard) to hold gears during agressive cornering e.t.c