Coolant leak.........

Yesterday while driving the car (fabia vrs) in heavy traffic, i could smell that 'hot water' smell. You know, like the car was overheating?? Anyway, the temp gauge was bang on half way as usual, so i continued my journey. This morning as soon as i started the car, the temp light (red pic of thermostat) came on and started beeping:eek:

Checked the water level and it was WAY below minimum:eek:

Top it up and used it for the rest of today. Left car running while i ran into the chinese but on the way out noticed water dripping from the front right of the car, so checked levels again and its used more water, sitting maybe half way now.

Am i right in saying that this could be the water pump?? If so, i'm REALLY pi$$ed off!!!

I got the cam belt replaced last month and when i was in the Main Dealers booking it in, i asked about replacing the water pump while the belts were getting done, to which the Service Manager replied "no point mate, i've never had a water pump on the Fabia's fail yet and i've been here 11yrs":mad::mad::mad:

I beleive the cost of now replacing the water pump will be the same as the cambelt change??

Another Q is, why does it smell like its over heating if the temp gauge isnt?? I'm worried incase its the head gasket??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated:thumbup:

Sorry for the long post, i'm ****n rageing!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Ian:(

Anyone????:(

Temp gauge on a modern car is absolutely useless. Unless the engine's actually melting, it'll still be at the "reassuring" 1/2way point.

You'd need to whip off the undertray to see where the problem lies. If you can't do this, it's a garage/dealer job.

J.

As long as the water in the radiator and the cooling system of the car is OK, the gauge will still register normal. The expansion tank will continue to top the system up until there is no more coolant in it. THEN the gauge will begin to climb.

/\ Wot he said. My money's on a clip, or if it's an older / high mileage vRS, possibly one of the hoses has rubbed through. But if you've not long had maintenance done, my money would be on something not being put back correctly (i.e. hose clip). Take it back to the garage. They should put it right FOC. If not, start quoting the Sale of Goods Act at them... :thumbup: