fabia ecu problem

Hello,

I have a problem with my fabia (2002 1.4 estate auto).

I don't know much about cars but would really appreciated help or advice on what to do.

Basically I went away for about 4 weeks and the car now has a problem. It was fine before I went away, I left it at a friends place so they could start it up every week but in the 2nd or 3rd week the car wouldnt start.

Came back and had to get it towed to a garage, they couldnt fix it so had to get it towed to another garage.

I have now been told that the ECU and clock is at fault, and that a new one would be £780 +VAT, not including labour. Total cost about £1100.

Problem is that I cant really afford that so would it be safe to get a 2nd hand replacement

I tried calling a place on ebay breaking fabia's, They told me that the part no. has to be identical otherwise it wont work even if the ECU comes from an exact same model and year. Is this true? and unfortunately that didnt have my part no.

Or does the ECU have to come from an Automatic like mine?

Btw The part no is 036 906 034 AE.

Any advice appreciated as I have been without my car for 3 weeks now since i got back !!

cheers

here is some more info i recieved,

the garage has told me that the instrument panel/clocks have blown up the ECU, therefore i need a new instrument panel and ECU.

instrument panel: part no 6Y2 919 850 CKDO

ECU: part no 036 906 034 AE

unfortunately i'm trying to get 2nd hand parts as i cant afford these brand new which are about £780 for both..

have located a ECU with the same part no.. if anyone knows where i can get a 2nd hand instrument panel for an 2002 1.4 fabia auto , it'd be much appreciated.

cheers

You'll have immobiliser issues, as when replacing with a used ECU you'll need the SKC (Secret Key Code) for the car which it came off and the SKC for your car and if using an instrument panel from yet another car, you'll need the SKC for that as well. The dealers cannot get these.

It also looks like your car has already had a replacement instrument panel in the past, the KDO part of the part number gives it away.