2001 Fabia 1.4 16v problems

Had the car a few weeks now, bought from Germany and ive noticed the following...

Warped disks...steering wheel shakes when breaking.

Power steering....gets very heavy on low revs, in car parks etc.

Then yesterday when driving my engine warning light came on.

Im rubbish with cars and as im in Czech Republic i have to be very careful as to where i take the car. Any ideas what can cause the engine light...i assume it can be a lot of things but i need something to say to the garage rather than 'you find the problem' because here they are a nightmare.

Hi,

The engine light means theres a fault code to be read from the engine computer. Could be one of loads of fault codes. You need the code read off and then you can go from there as the code will refer to a particular text description.

You can get the code read by someone with 'VAGCOM' or you could get a VAGCOM cable and the software or get a code reader from ebay, something like this eBay: u280, Werkzeuge, KFZ-Handwerk, Auto Motorrad Teile

This plugs in to a socket behind the can cooler thing beside the drivers right knee. Pull it down to see the port.

You can then do a search on google for the code and post here and someone might be able to narrow it down.

Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki