Noise related to fan/aircon?

Hi,

This evening I came out of my office, turned on the engine and aircon and fan and set off.

About five minutes later i accelerated off a speed ramp and got a dreadful noise briefly - kind of like a dentists drill. It again seemed to happen under high revs in first, but then doesn't most of the time.

The car cruises beautifyully and apart from the above circumstance, the only issue is that if I turn off the aircon, OR turn the heater fan to off, then the noise returns immediately. It literally is like an on/off switch for it.

If I drive carefully and do not accelerate then I cannot here the noise while the ac and fan are on. I have taken it to over 4k revs and no noise (although it was less when I heard it the first time)

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved - the car is a 2003 tdi (90) octy with around 140k on the clock. Cambelt was changed just before I got it (around two weeks ago).

I have the same issues from cold or after a good 45 minutes drive.

I've a nasty feeling that this might be the aircon clutch. If I'm right, check the locating bolt for same soonest, because these have a nasty habit of undoing themselves, and knackering the compressor drive.

Thanks - I am not using the care tomorrow and am taking it in to be looked at on saturday.

The service guy at Whitehill skoda in Meopham was talking about the same nut I think, sounded knoowledgeable, although made no mention of possible compressor damage.

I will update the thread when sorted.

• 2 weeks later...
As expected, the spines on the compressor drive apparently worn away.

New parts odered and due in next week.

Hmmmm - now two weeks later and they are still trying to "source" the parts.

:(