Fast cruising - what's your Skoda's fave speed?

• 3 months later...

Further to previous discussions I have just completed a trip to Wales in my 89 136.

I found 3,250 was a nice comfortable speed and well within the speed limit.

I completed this trip as an eco drive so where possible was trying to get as much MPG out of the engine as possible. Saying that, it still only returned 37mpg.

Does anyone get any better than that?

Further to previous discussions I have just completed a trip to Wales in my 89 136.

I found 3,250 was a nice comfortable speed and well within the speed limit.

I completed this trip as an eco drive so where possible was trying to get as much MPG out of the engine as possible. Saying that, it still only returned 37mpg.

Does anyone get any better than that?

Rob,

Put a diesel in the back, you know it makes sense!

3250rpm in 6th on my tdi would be 108mph (I think),

it'll still do 37mpg at that speed too!

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/mpg-786mile-drive-tonight-bluefin-installed-4people-roof-box/131425/4/

cheers .... Darren

• 3 weeks later...
I just rev mine to 7200 rpm in top with a comp 4 speed box with a s100 C & P. It sounds like a BDA!

Be careful! The maximum permitted RPM is 5100 for short burst use only. 4800 is the absolute maximum for sustained use. 7200!:eek: You have worried me.

Be careful! The maximum permitted RPM is 5100 for short burst use only. 4800 is the absolute maximum for sustained use. 7200!:eek: You have worried me.

From what source?

With forged pistons and balanced crank and rods, the engine is safe to 7_000, but even so 7_200 is pushing it (sources Skoda competition dept, John Hauglund, various contemporary tuning articles). Over 7_000 and it starts bending pushrods.

"From what source?"

I am going from the Skoda workshop manual. The S100 engine has the same limits as the later 105 block.

"With forged pistons and balanced crank and rods, the engine is safe to 7_000"

I don't think the S100 had these - it was just a normal engine. The S110R had a higher limit - but I am not sure if it had the forged pistons and balanced crank and rods.

TH

Ok mate; I only asked where you'd got that from because it seemed low. The forged pistons and balance were (as implied) part of a works rally tuned engine, not a cooking stock block.

You are right I think Ken - on re-reading RSIMPS comment I get the feeling that his car may be modifed. I thought he was just using a standard S100 on first reading:eek::P.

TH

That's a load of rubbish, a proper race engine on a 8 port will rev over 8. Its a full as works twin weber rally engine. I would say at least a couple of you guys will have seen it in action in Sweet Pea.

They didnt get over 130 bhp from the 130rs without reving it, the sums dont add up. I have never bent a push rod, if you do you just replace it. I have thrown the fan belt off, so now she has alloy deep vee pullies, with a larger dia on the alternator a la imp.

I am using a 136 8 port. I would get your works facts right. The race 130rs in race spec pushed out 136-140bhp. Kents grp A cam pulls to 7500rpm, its race cam even higher. The 120s which my car is a rep of ran to 7200 rpm on the std larger lobe 120 cam for the line bored works blocks, the 130 cam was even more agressive. I have an ex- works 5 port bottom end with all the period parts including the cams that are larger than the std item, its just missing the cast iron 8 port head.

Due to rule changes and the Czech government the estelles lost performance over the 130rs until grp b came in. After talking to Ray Dale in length over these units, most Estelles he used had less performance than the grpb or 130rs spec engine due to having to run to grp A. I can also quote you some figure from a Czech racing book on individuals period 120s and 130rs specs.

Just to confirm my pistons are not std. There was a guy in Czech (Engitech) that built some good engines up to kit spec. I have been through all this before, dont worry.

The f3 1ltr 5 port engine is quoted at 98bhp at 8000 rpm in period. Some of the problems with the 5 port is that the block is weaker, the head stud threads are shorter, the bearing caps were uprated in the rally engines. You can get them to rev, but the head flow might not be ideal. Basically most of the comp development ended up on the 136. Ray use to use a new 5 port block each year as he thought they went soft. I dont find this problem with a 136, the alloy sump probably helps too.