Hardtail MTB needs Brake Discs

matt_theforce

I've got an old'ish Specialized Hard Rock and was wondering if you can buy a mounting block or something to attach rear discs to as it doesn't have the rear disc caliper mount on the frame?

Hope used to make an adaptor which used a shortened stub axle on the disc side, an adaptor and a torque arm to bolt onto the brake stud to hold it all in place. They haven't made any of this for years so the best bet is an A2Z disc adaptor or something similar which bolts over the existing dropout on many bikes. This will allow you to bolt a normal IS caliper onto the rear. what sort of riding are you doing? Have you upped the ante with a disc on thr front already? If not then I wouldn't bother going down the disc route as it's expensive and doesn't really give a great increase unless you have already got the front brake up to scratch.

Thanks Guys, I thought I remembered a few years ago seeing something that would do the converstion but couldn't find anything last night.

I mainly do trail riding although I also do quite a bit of forest riding in Wharncliffe woods down the downhill trails. I used to have a Claud Butler with mechanical discs and found that no matter what the weather they always used to work really well and sometimes better than the v-brakes on my specialized.

I'm currently saving up for some front suspension which will allow me to upgrade the front to a disc brake and also giving me the suspension that I need for the downhill trails.

I would imagine the market for such and adapter would be quite small now. So long as you have a well sorted front disk brake and a decent V or hydraulic rear you should be fine. :)

I ran my Kona Roast with a Hope front and a Avid rear V for a while no probs. I could do with clearing out some of my old MTB parts... anyone interesting an a set of Pace RC36's and an Orange Evo7? :D

I'd agree with the others, get a decent rim brake on the rear, and make do. I'd never go without my front disc mind you. Adaptors can be more hassle than they're worth with alignment etc. I had a steel frame modified professionally and even that's slightly off.

However, I used to sell Woodman kit at a shop I used to work at. can't comment on this particular adaptor, but may be worth a punt.

WOOdman products

If you do decide to go for a bracket, be careful - from memory, you need to check the actual design of your rear quick release as some frames can't take the mod.