skoda superb 140 bhp comfort

was checking the fluids on the car today and took off the engine cover to reveal the engine itself........i could make out the fuel filter and your probably thinking we got a right one ere:D.......but next to the fuel filter is what looks like another screwable canister which looks like a filter......can anyone tell me what this is......as im sure the oil filter is under the engine drip tray thats screwed from underneath the car. any help would be much appreciated.regards andy

The oil filter is reached from the top and has a 14 sided plastic cap (76 AF if I remember correctly). You need a special socket to remove it - GSF sell them.

When I changed my fuel filter I took the bloody stupid M6 tri-square headed clamp bolt right out and cut a screwdriver slot in the head. Why VAG deliberately make their cars difficult to maintain is beyond me. With a detail like this, it means that the filter is less likely to be changed and the water drain will never be used (you have to lift the filter up in its clamp to access the drain tap).

It doesn't seem to occur to them that with a design like this, their cars become less reliable than those of their competitors as they will be neglected, especially in later life. Sheer genius.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel

thanks rotodiesel.....who are gsf? where are they based? and any ideas on how much these sockets cost in order to remove the oil filter? regards....andy

GSF = German Swedish & French. These people are parts suppliers with branches throughout the country. If you have a VAG vehicle, you need to get to know them.

The oil filter cap socket is about £5. Don't try to manage without it - I've known people to crack the plastic cap by using a strap wrench on it.

rotodiesel.

many thanks for the info.......i'll look them up on internet and reserve the tool for getting filter out........and save a packet in service charges.regards......andy

Tell them you are a cabby and they will issue you a discount card, I've not bought a thing from Skoda yet for my car, I always use them, £42 for sensor wired brake pads all round, CV boot £8, £6 for power steering fluid litre bottle iirc, oil and air filters are reasonable, can't go wrong and all the parts are made by the same ppl that make em for Skoda anyway if the grape vine is correct.