1.4 TDI - oil consumption?

Hello folks,

I am a possible future Fabia-buyer from Norway. Have found out that a 2004-05 Fabia would suit my needs and budget. Would prefer a diesel and have found a couple of interesting 1.4 TDIs. However, I have heard that this engine have had some issues with a large oil consumption. Anyone out there with experience or knowledge about this?

Based on what I have read on here, a few Fabia diesel owners experience moderate oil consumption but the vast majority say their cars hardly use any oil at all. The diesel engines used in the Fabia are well proven units, in any case.

My 1.4TDI needed to be checked by the dealer for a coolant leak when the low coolant light came on. They topped up coolant and also the oil. Apparently it does use a little bit of oil but generally not enough to make the low oil light come on in between services.

Only issues with my TDI are that it's a bit noisey (more so when it's cold in the morning) and if you're coasting in gear at very low revs you can sometimes get a rattle which sounds like the exhaust rattling against a heat shield or something?

Having said that it's a good and pokey little engine which is cheap to tax, insure and run. Sits happily at motorway speeds and will still have more if you need to overtake anything (unless it's a VRS). :)

G.