Another cooling query...

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster - my sister drives a 1.3 Felicia and the radiator fan doesn't seem to be kicking in, leaving the temp. gauge to rise to 110.

So far I've

• Vag-commed the car - no faults of any kind reported
  • Bled the system for an air lock
  • Checked the radiator fan switch - joining the wires makes the fan start so that's working

and it's still running hot.

Any other ideas??? What have I missed?

EDIT: The fan now DOES eventually kick in, but the temp gauge inside the car is reading at about 105 when it does so. Seems a bit high to me ?!?

Edited by lard44

Either the switch is half-knackered- shorting the cables tests the cabling, relay (if fitted) and motor, or the rad is silted up.

Change the switch first, then flush and refill the cooling system if it isn't fixed. If the rad is badly silted, you might need a new one.

Radiator's nice and clean (this motor's only done 36k on an S plate - quite a find at auction last year!)

So is a radiator switch a dealership jobby or can I get a pattern part somewhere cheaper?

The temp gauge has been a bit sticky and erratic of late - could it be the coolant temp sensor? I only ask 'cos I've had a couple go on previous VAG group cars I've owned.

Skoda Parts - Jorily. The Skoda Parts Shop - Probably the UKs largest independent skoda parts supplier sell the temp switches. Also sell a low temp version to turn the fan on sooner.

That's cool, but they say they only go up to May '98.

This Felicia's on an S plate, which I think makes it August 98 and beyond. I don't see a post '98 switch on the site - will they still be compatible?

EDIT: Ignore me,I see it, just not a low temp one...