Strange noise.

Please can anyone advise what the problem may be. 2002 Octy just started making strange clicking noise from N/S passenger under dash area. Had a quick look, and appears to be coming from corner of car, inside and behind blower fan housing

I can only hear the noise at idle speed, and when the car is stationary, goes away when moving off.

Thanks for any help, would be much appreciated!

hi mate it sounds like the same problem a had its sumit to do with the heater box i took it to my local skoda dealer and they took it apart and put sum white grease on mec and everything was all good

thanks

:thumbup:

Thanks for that. May have to have a closer look! Maybe removing glovebox ect.... Removed blower fan yesterday, still makes noise when this is out of way. Also does it when heater says off on display!

Noise is coming from component behind blower fan right in corner of footwell. I can put my hand on it, and feel it clicking. Even does it with just ignition on!

Not sure it is heater related!

I know, I know! *puts hand up*

I had this exact thing mate. Turned out to be a flap motor, going loco! It's a strange sort of clicking/scratching/electrical noise that comes on even with just ignition on (climatronic and engine both off).

I ran VAGCOM and it kicked up the 'V71 fresh air flap motor' was faulty. It's tucked away right at the back of the dash, to the left of the fan motor and back a bit.

Part was about £70 from Skoda, and I replaced it myself. But it was a painful job, i lost alot of hand and arm skin to the dash!

Does this tie up with what you have?

Your description sounds exactly what I am experiencing! Cheers mate! Will get code checked out to see if it throws up same one!

Did you have to dismantle lots of dash area to get to flap motor? Have heard of some heater problems being a dash out job!!!

I had the same noise too and searching a few threads on here someone suggested turning the recirc air button on the climate control. I turned recirc on, left it for a few seconds then turned it off again and the noise went away. It apprently resets the motor and then its fine.

Give it a go cause if it works then it'll save you £70 and losing a lot of skin apparently!! ;)

Yep that is true, the recirculate button does control the flap motor in question, and if you stab at the button a few times it will sort the motor out temporarily. But for me it came right back the next time i started the car. I guess if the motors gone freaky, it will just keep going back to it's noisy ways time and time again! Try it though, and see if it lasts. I put up with the noise for about 6 months till I finally had enough and changed it! Like Johnny said though, it's worth a squirt!

To change the flap motor it's not so bad (not a dash out job anyway!). Here's the process i followed:

1. Remove glovebox (5 torx screws i think)

2. Tuck foam back that's under the dash, no need to remove it though.

3. Remove the few screws that hold the motor in its housing, and remove the fan motor assembly (just slides down and out easily)

4. That's all the removal bits done then, apart from the flap motor itself.

5. Just a case of removing the 1 screw holding down the motor and alot of patience to unclip the motor arm from the flap arm (it's fiddly and hard to get too, but it's the only way), then pull the motor out.

6. Cup of tea now, the next bit is annoying as hell!

7. Having taken out the fan motor, you can see up the large vent, and find the flap itself (it has foam on its underside). It's a case of lining up the motor shaft onto the flap shaft now, so you have to hold the flap with one hand and the motor with the other and jiggle it till it pops in.

8. Once in, quickly put the screw back into the motor so it doesnt pop out again

(happened to me too many times)!

9. Connect it all back up and reassemble the bits and your done.

10. As a tip i'd put the ignition on and test the flap for correct operation before u connect the fan back up, should be working good and proper now.

Hope I've been helpful......

If you don't have VAGCOM you could remove the glovebox anyway, and you'll soon discover where the noise comes from. I tried it, and I could see the motor just flapping about randomly like a trout in a bucket.

Thanks everyone!!!! Will try reset with recirculate button for nothing. I do not have VAGCOM, but I know someone who does, for checking/ reset of fault codes. Step by step info really useful, if none of above works, Cheers!!:thumbup: