Which door is leaking?? and yeah i've searched!!!!

bobjim

Righty ho,

after spending most of my day at work yesterday reading pretty much every thread on leaking doors i am still no clearer to which one of mine is leaking, i know how to do it but which one!!!!

i didnt drive the vRS for a week and when i came to it on sunday the drivers side rear footwell was swimming, the carpet is sodden from the back of the drivers side footwell all the way under the drivers seat,

now,

when i open the rear drivers side door there is no water on the seals or on the sill, but there is a white residue, similar to if you evapourate salt water,

when i open the drivers door there is a small amount of water on the rubber seal and if you open the seal up its wet pretty much the whole length,

but the drivers footwell is not wet, either on the side directly under the sill seal or on the floor, but does start to get a little damp when the bottom seat belt fastening to the floor pan is,

so in conclusion i'm confused to which door is giving me grief, i think the drivers side passenger door, but i was unsure due to the drivers having water on the seal

please help as there is a lot of water in my car, lol, :thumbdwn:

I removed the door card of the suspect door and then with the door open I ran a hose pipe over the window and watched the water run out the bottom of the door carrier. After resealing the carrier I have had no more problems.

Righty ho,

after spending most of my day at work yesterday reading pretty much every thread on leaking doors i am still no clearer to which one of mine is leaking, i know how to do it but which one!!!!

i didnt drive the vRS for a week and when i came to it on sunday the drivers side rear footwell was swimming, the carpet is sodden from the back of the drivers side footwell all the way under the drivers seat,

now,

when i open the rear drivers side door there is no water on the seals or on the sill, but there is a white residue, similar to if you evapourate salt water,

when i open the drivers door there is a small amount of water on the rubber seal and if you open the seal up its wet pretty much the whole length,

but the drivers footwell is not wet, either on the side directly under the sill seal or on the floor, but does start to get a little damp when the bottom seat belt fastening to the floor pan is,

so in conclusion i'm confused to which door is giving me grief, i think the drivers side passenger door, but i was unsure due to the drivers having water on the seal

please help as there is a lot of water in my car, lol, :thumbdwn:

It seems the rear doors are more prone to this, so i'd start there... but if you're going to seal one, seal them all? you're getting water on the drivers seals too so its obviously leaking and will probably let water in through both.

All you need is some sealant which costs about 40-50 from a dealer. If you'd rather let the dealer do it you're looking at 30ish per door.

dont mind doing it myself, but 30-40 for sealant, wont silicon sealant do???

Wickes or whatever DIY is closest to you, exterior silicon sealant usually £5-£7. A few new plastic clips/fasteners - the proper skoda ones WITH rubber sealing washers are only 22p each +VAT.

Did mine at the weekend, all dry now.

To stop the water coming in temporarily, tape around all four edges of the rear door windows with black insulating tape, make sure the glass and rubber edging is clean (wipe with meths) and stick the tape to the glass and rubber not your paintwork. Use black tape and it won't stand out. That should keep any more water from getting in. Remeber that you won't be able to wind the windows down though!

Take a look again at the recent threads on leaky doors etc, there's loads of good stuff. It seems this continual wet weather has caused every Fabia in the land that hadn't already been sealed to start leaking.