Stock photography - any recommendations?

Xavier

Just wondering as I'm interested in trying myself out earning a few notes on the side.

So far, I have only joined Stock Photos | Shutterstock: Royalty-Free Subscription Stock Photography & Vector Art but on both occasions I submitted photos, they've all been rejected. Initially I was a bit peeved with it as I could see nothing wrong, and there's nothing better to dent your ego than have stuff you've prodused "denied". Then I thought may I'm just doing it wrong. But on closer inspection, I can't understand their submission and acceptance process because I see lots of "approved" photos which to me, appear incorrectly exposed, out of focus, etc.

So what other sites are out there that people have used and know work.

I suppose this thread is probably quite specific and Graham will be the most helpful chap. But surely there are others out there with some tips? :)

TIA :thumbup:

You could try Alamy.com.

You need to meet their technical criteria for images, but once you get started you'll at least get paid a reasonable amount for your work (assuming it sells, of course), rather than the pennies paid by the microstock agencies like Fotolia and iStock.

And the amount of pennies I make far exceed those that alamy sales reach. :eek:

And the amount of pennies I make far exceed those that alamy sales reach. :eek:

Alamy used to be quite good, both for sales quantity and revenue, but things seem to be going 'down the pan' just recently.

Mind you, it's a tough business to be in for any of the major players.

I tried selling on Fotolia a while back. When I finally cashed in my chips, I'd sold 200+ images, and earned a grand total of approx £75 . Seemed a bit pointless really.

Anyway, I'm certainly not about to get drawn into the 'Royalty Free v Licenced' debate, nor the 'Microstock v Traditional agency' argument. It just didn't work for me :)

Edited by HongKongPhooey