Best place for 3rd party cable?

Dan Walton

I want to buy a third party VAG-COM cable to run initially with the freeware software and maybe buy the full license at a later date. Where's the best place in the UK to buy one? Obviously there are lots on eBay but I've heard these can a bit hit and miss, any sellers to go for for a good cable? I've seen a cable on vagproducts.co.uk which is quite cheap and looks different to most of the eBay ones, it's not blue! They do refer a lot to the Ross Tech website which I guess can only be a good thing? Are their cables any good?

Sorry for all the Q's.

Ta!

Edited by mannyo

Hi Dan,

In the past I've had three cables from various sellers from ebay - these no longer work, they've lasted me about one year each (was using version 3.12n of vagcom).....

I've now bitten the bullet and bought a 'proper' kit from Ross-Tech

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the other day that Gendan have a cable specifically for certain versions of VAG.COM, and even though it doesn't appear to be an official cable, they are an official supplier of the software. Not sure if that increases the chances of it being a good 'un..

VW Audi Seat Skoda USB Diagnostic Cable for VAG-COM 409.1 - Dual K-line - most VAG 1996-2003 :: Gendan Automotive Products

• 4 weeks later...

3rd party cable doesn't like multiple faults - it only shows the first text - so it becomes a pain sometimes.

it also isn't can so newer cars of your mates or in future can't be scanned.

the obd function on the genuine cable can be very handy too - again for sorting your mates (NON VAG) cars.. they may have a scanner for their cars - but live temp readouts can help LOADS :-)