EML light giving me hell!

cphaza

Hi guys

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm a mobile mechanic and have a 2001 1.4mpi in for some work and im at my witts end with it! I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas...

Basically, the car came in with the eml light on which flashed up several lambder sensor faults. After changing them (5 wire wide band lambdas are £100 a pop!) the light still returns after a few miles. The cat has been checked, its got new lambdas, i tracked the wiring back to the ecu and it all seems healthy, new sparks, coil pack...the list goes on. What is interesting to note is that, according to the customer, the temperature gauge stopped working at around the same time as this fault first occured. I have replaced the sensor and now the temp gauge is working fine. Dont know if its got ought to do with anything but figured i should mention it. It is also fair to say that it runs a little rough on tickover, misses ever now and then. Its only done 42k so its all a bit odd realy. Anyone have any ideas? I'm just about stumped!

All 1.4 MPI's run a bit 'lumpy' on tickover, so I would ignore that as part of the problem. My brothers Seat Ibiza was giving problems once, in & out of the garage until the guy discovered that the rain wasn't draining from the screen thought the drain slots and was running into the ECU. After drying out the ECU the problems went away.