New VRS owner - tips required

:) I am taking delivery of an x demo VRS Diesel Estate tomorrow and just wanted to say high to everyone and ask a few questions.

Mine will have the new CR Diesel Engine with only 700 miles on the clock and was wondering :-

1. Whats the advantage of the CR over PD or vice-versa.

2. What real world mpg should I expect, I will not be pushing the car.

3. Will I get best mpg now or will it take a few thousand miles for the engine to loosen off.

4. How best to drive the diesel, what rpm should I be changing up a gear for best mpg.

5. It also has Sat-Nav and what looks like an SD card slot. How good is the SAT NAV and can it be updated easily. What other funtions does it have, eg. does this also display the MPG or will that be on the dash display.

Finally, it also has a metal dog separator fitted and will never use this.

If anyone is interested in this make me an offer but you'll have to pick it up from the TEESSIDE area. Otherwise its just going to rust in the garage as I will never get a dog.

Hello and welcome. I think you've made an excellent choice.

The PD engine gives a big shove in the back when accelerating hard, like the Fabia vRS. The CR engine gives a smoother power delivery. The MPG should get better as the miles go on and I've found that the PD engine doesn't give good MPG when just dawdelling about, it likes to be driven. I can achieve 45 MPG easily on a run to work through B roads, not pushing but making good progress. Good readings seem to come from just as the torque band kicks in, say 1700 rpm. I tend to accelerate up to speed quickly and then cruise in a higher gear.

Ive got the exact same engine - bought on a 58 plate 1st September.

Have done 5.5k miles in it now - mostly M/way. Have found that on a good run I have averaged 53-56mpg, best thing is to sit at 80ish - as Captain Scarlet said - accelerate quickly and sit in 6th. If your talking country roads, just drive it sensibly - youll know what I mean when you get in it!

Power delivary is very smooth for a diesel - youll be very happy with it. Jealous youve got the Sat Nav - I want one!!

Sounds like I have got a very similar car to your own. Mine has done about 1300 miles now and I'm seeing an overall average of 44.7 mpg (with a good mixture of roads and driving). I'm off to Cornwall tomorrow - which will be good!!!

I have also got the Skoda MFD3 Columbus Sat Nav. I used a Nafman in my last car and to begin with, I wasn't that impressed (given the high cost of the unit) as it doesn't take a full post code search (you should have the latest version 3 of the maps and that takes the first 5 digits of post code) but I am liking it more and more. It is really clever how it integrates with the maxidot screen and with about 8gb of mp3 tracks on the harddrive, I no longer need the autochanger or the CD Unit!!

As for the car, with the exception of an over zealous "autolights" function - it is amazing. The best package of practicality, economy, power, style and handling. I am loving it!

As regards the MFD3 sat nav. The supplier of the vehicle couldn't get the language to change from German to English. They are posting me an alternative DVD in the next few days so I haven't had time to play with it yet.

I can only hope that the replacment DVD fixes the problem.

1. Whats the advantage of the CR over PD or vice-versa.

Think the CR lump is meant to run a bit smoother. Believe they made it a common rail to improve the emissions.

2. What real world mpg should I expect, I will not be pushing the car.

With 4 adults in the car and a boot full of luggage i got an indicated 48 mpg at a steady 70ish mph on a long motorway run, normal driving around the low to mid 40's depending on the amount of lead in my boot.

3. Will I get best mpg now or will it take a few thousand miles for the engine to loosen off.

Should loosen off over time

4. How best to drive the diesel, what rpm should I be changing up a gear for best mpg.

Drive it like a stolen rental car and you should still get good mileage out of it.

On a side note - have a look around the forum for info regarding the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) of pick up a leaflet on it from the dealer. It's generally regarded as being a good thing to dive the car a "little run" or a few miles of motorway work occasionally (unless you do so regularly in the course of your journeys) just to make sure that it gets hot enough to burn off the crud it catches.

5. It also has Sat-Nav and what looks like an SD card slot. How good is the SAT NAV and can it be updated easily. What other funtions does it have, eg. does this also display the MPG or will that be on the dash display.

Pass - i use a papery thing called a map

Enjoy the car, welcome to the forum and let us know how you get along with it.