Pinking(?) / metallic noise on Mk1 vRS at low revs

BFG

I've had my mk1 vRS estate for a while now and although it's been great, it hasn't been without problems.

Over the last few months, I've noticed at between 1k and 2k rpm if I'm anything other than extremely gentle, the car sounds like its pinking (albeit much much worse than an old astra that used to do it). It's at the point where pedestrians turn and look occasionally. I obviously try to avoid driving at revs that bring on the problem.

Not mapped, no mods, and performance once the turbo is spooling is still spot on. Worse when cold, but it still does it when at normal operating temp. When idling, the car is slightly 'tappity' (again as per my old Astra)

Anybody suffered from this? Any suggestions? My cambelt is due soon(ish) so there is the possibility to ask my local dealer to have a look then maybe...

Thanks for any suggestions

could just be the charcoal canister solenoid clicking away,(they all do that),or injectors can be quite noisy.shouldn't pink though as the knock sensor should sort that out.You'r not using cheap fuel perchance?.

Ah good point - I should've said it does it on 95 or 98 RON fuel. Will ask the garage to check out the points you mention - thanks for the comments.

I used to be quite happy taking previous car engines apart, but a 20valve turbo engine that's only just out of warranty is too much of a mountain to climb (for me at least)!

Have a Mk 1 05 VRs hatch - 54k miles - which also appears to have started to produce a pinking noise recently. Only seems to do it at low revs (1k to 2k) - I guess, ultimately, in the "wrong" gear :) - the noise is noticeable with the window down.

It's not the charcoal canister - I know that noise.

Did a quick search for "pinking" on here and found this thread. Would appreciate an update as you (hopefully) progress this issue to a resolution. Good luck.

Cheers

Russell

There's a thought indeed. May well be that kind of metallicy rattling noise. Thanks.

Mine broke around 45K and did make a strange noise. Fixed with the jubilee clip method and been fine ever since.

I've got a 53 plate vRS hatch just coming up to 93k (got it with 8k on it). When pulling away from a stand gently, using low revs, or sometimes even accelerating gently, I've been hearing a noise a bit like pinking, for perhaps 8 or 9 months. Use a bit more throttle and it goes away. No other acceleration issues (!).

But yesterday I think the (original) clutch came to the end of it's natural life - suddenly lots of judder moving off in first, and in reverse feels like the whole car is about to rattle to pieces (and I'm sure I smelled burning...).

Spoke to a local independent who explained that the clutch includes a dual-mass flywheel (and that the replacement would be an eye-watering £564 all in). I must be old because I'm sure I can remember clutch changes being less than £100 way back!

I'm now wondering whether the "pinking" has actually been noise from the flywheel (or, rather, the weights etc.) deteriorating. But until the thing is replaced I won't know for sure. Anyway, this might be something you could consider.

Interesting to see other folks having a simlar problem.

I'll do an update once I've had the cambelt done (and yes you're right Ken there is a service in there too).

On different though, is that my sound gets MUCH worse if I try to accelerate harder (rather than it going away)

once of my colleagues with a vRS had that problem with the centre mount and I hadn't related it - I'll get that checked too :-)