Superb V6 Tdi 6 Speed Manual - Comfort

Hi All - New to this but not new to Skoda! My wife has a Fabia VRS that we have owned since new in June 2005 & its been faultless (and I love it too when i'm allowed the keys!) - hence as I'm changing jobs & now need to source a car from my own pocket for the first time in a decade, I am about to buy a Superb as described above.

It was registered by the dealer in April 2004 & has been run as a company car by their service manager since then. It now has just short of 40,000 miles on it & a full main dealer service history. I am told that the cam belt has been replaced.

Qustions....What problems do these cars suffer from? If the debate about Cam belts is right if I do 20k miles a year do I need to replace the belt again in 2 years time when it gets to 80k miles or as it his 100k in 3 years 0r 120k in 4 years? Are there any other common problems - suspension, fuel system gearbox, drive shafts, electrical/air con gremlins etc etc? (It has the BDG engine by the way.....)

Any views/comments/urban myths gratefully received!

Cheers, Skodabread.:confused:

I'd not take it as gospel that the belt has been done, some people think a full service includes this, so unless you have seen the bill for it assume you need one now.

Blocked drains in the scuttle panel

Climate Unit

Tyre wear unless you straight line all day

Alternator pulley

This is about all I can think of right now, and it's not an indication yours will suffer any of them.

See thread concerning V6 engine - not my favourite. Don't forget VED rises when they happen and that it uses a lot more fuel than the 4 for not much more performance (but a lot more CO2).

The 6 speed box is nowhere near as reliable as the 5 speed and is absolutely pointless, it was probably originally a marketing sop for Audi. Top gear on the 6 is very little higher than the 5 (at 70mph in top, the engine on a 6 speeder is turning 120 rpm more slowly) and the torque of the V6 is such that it could manage quite happily with 4 gears, not 6. If they had given the V6 a higher top gear it would have made an excellent cruising car - but they didn't, probably because the B5.5 was a run-out model and they didn't want to tool for a new final drive.

You may well find the rear seats don't fold on the car you are considering. Be choosy, get the exact model you want for the best price - you can drive a really hard bargain now, everything is in your favour.

Shop around at all costs, and don't buy the first one you see.

rotodiesel.

Thanks both - good points to note.

Take the point about the gearing - that said it is still longer geared than the V70 D5 I drive at the moment.

I should have said that it was the car of the service manager of the dealership so I would hope that he knows what to do? That said i'll check that there is a receipt/record that confirms the work has been done.

Useful info about the drains as well.

I have driven a few including a 1.8T & the 1.9 130, both impressed in their own ways but the V6 seemed to have edge - it felt more the comfey criser - and to be frank - sounded better!:)

In my opinion your have made a good choice that engine will purr along at 120 mph on the autobauns of course.I owned one for over 30 months and the V6 2.5tdi and 6 speed gearbox where 100% reliable.

Pete

I thought cambelt was not due until 75000 miles? At least on later BDG.

That said, it's better to replace at 60k miles, but it is still nowhere near the 40k miles that you quoted.

Anyway, I have the car, and as I outlined on AYM vs BDG thread, I'm happy with it.

I thought cambelt was not due until 75000 miles? At least on later BDG.

That said, it's better to replace at 60k miles, but it is still nowhere near the 40k miles that you quoted.

Anyway, I have the car, and as I outlined on AYM vs BDG thread, I'm happy with it.

It is coming up to 4 years old though...

See, I told you Roto doesn't like V6's in the other thread :thumbup:

Ah, yes, the 4 years. Then it was supposed to be changed back in April.

Edit: If the cambelt was really replaced, the next one is due at 100k-110k miles (so 60k-70k more miles), or another 4 years.

Edited by dieselV6