Cleaning Fuel Injectors

Hi,

Anyone got any experience of the Halfords style injector cleaning fluids that you just add to your petrol? Considering giving one a go.

Also, considering cleaning the throttle body - any tips?

Basically, I have the surging problem/lumpy power delivery (1.8 normally aspirated engine) whereby say in 2nd gear 1800rpm and foot down, theres nothing then at 2000 there is a sudden surge and its a bit jerky.

Dont have VAG com. Suspected either the coil pack or the MAF, but would either of these being faulty not tend to result in more serious and major issues? This problem is not that bad and is also somewhat intermittent :confused:

Used to use Redex on the zetec engine on my old Fiesta (straight into the cylinders) which cleaned the injectors but then they hadn't been cleaned in 80,000 odd miles. Not sure its worth it with a newer car.

I'm cleaning my throttle body this weekend, you will need a hex key to undo the four bolts holding it to the inlet manifold, a new gasket (should be a couple of quid, I've ordered one from the local Seat dealer) some carb cleaner and a rag and cotton wool buds to do the cleaning with.

Don't unplug any of the multiplugs, hold the throttle with one hand and clean it with the other. If you unplug it you will need to have it re-aligned afterwards which is a Vag-Com job.

The slight judder if you're in too low a gear at about 1800 revs is normal BTW.

I'd spend your money on a new MAF, clean air filter, cleaning out the pipes plus new spark plugs.

You can always have the injectors sonically cleaned out of the engine, which will have an effect that many of these claimed additives won't have.

Some of them will give it a clean through, but there is a possibility that they could potentially cause damage to seals depending on the engine.