Steering & front suspension

Since the Fabia 2 has the same front suspension and steering as the Roomster, owners may be interested in my Roomster thread.

The dealer has today confirmed all of the reported faults as follows:

(1) scraping noise at low speed under 1/2-full lock, slowing down to a 'ticking' until vehicle comes to rest - this occurs in the wet only - as yet undiagnosed

(2) excessive knocking from nearside front primarily (but also off-side front) when the vehicle is cold - dealer suspects faulty steering rack and has filed a technical report to Skoda (they have had several similar faults with Fabias as well (same front steering/suspension) - they have replaced steering racks on Fabias and the problem persists) - awaiting response from Skoda

(3) a light 'thunk' from the steering when turned left or right, after the car has been standing for a while - attributed to the power steering pump, but yet to be confirmed

Any other reports of similar problems would be greatefully received via this forum.

Don't think I get any of those on mine.

I do occasionally get a knock if I'm turning at lowish speed and hit a bump at the same time (e.g. over the dropped kerb on to my drive if I swing on the drive a bit quicker than usual).

Doesn't happen every time and the occasion that causes it is fairly rare too so doesn't bother me.

Had a Megane 1.5 diesel a few years ago and that made a similar noise but a lot louder and a lot more often. Unsurprisingly, Renault couldn't find a fault (but then again, you could take the engine out of the car, push it on to their forecourt and tell them it wouldn't start and they wouldn't find a fault:rolleyes:)

Hope you get yours fixed.

First timer...no, I don't have any of those problems with my Fabia 2 Estate. It's certainly possible Skoda has had a batch of faulty steering racks. In my tech days I saw it happened occassionally:eek: , and of course is not just limited to steering racks. But on the whole, these things are rare and always fixed under warranty. Don't be worried! ;)

• 1 month later...

I have a Fabia 2 estate and have had problems with my front suspension clunking from both sides when I go over the speed bumps leaving my road. Speed doesn't matter, as I always crawl over them.

I have taken the car back to the dealer three times and they keep finding a wheel arch lining panel loose. I'm sceptical myself but it does seem to be a few days before the problem comes back. Warranty runs out at the end of this month as well. Has anyone else been told this problem, and do you know of a fix? :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

My dad has a Fabia 3 1.9 TDI and took it to the dealer recently with a front knocking. He was told there was an issue with the engine mounts. I don't know the specifics as I wasn't with him when he went to the dealer but some parts have been ordered but are on back order due to it being a common fault of some sort. Apparently there is some sort of technical bulletin that has been sent to the dealers on this issue. Saying that, it was the first time my dad's dealer had seen the issue. I wonder if this is related ot item number 2 in the original post?