felicia knocking noise

Back again, Things are going wrong all at once

I have had a sort of knocking noise from the engine, its a bit like pinking on a petrol car But this is a diesel. Its when i start up, it rattles, if i excelerate hard it gets wose. I changed the fuel filter as i thought it was that blocked but it made no difference. I have a mind that it the exhaust recycling valve thing but i dont know much about that, any ideas? any help would be appreciated .... thanks

Tom might be right, but is the car due an oil change in the next couple of thousand miles? If so, then the tappet noise will probably sort itself out with an oil change.

THe oil is new. Changed it to try and get rid of the noise, The noise is not a tapping noise it like diesel knock, i can get it to do it when i have just started and set off, At certain reves if i hold it at that it will make the noise and i can accelerate through it. It goes when the engine is warm.

i paid £19 for a new set on ebay a few days ago, but other than that, the timing belt has to come off so you might as well change it at the same time... best off getting it checed by somebody first

I am not sure if it is the tappets, I will have to make sure of what it is before i go for the cam belt and new tappets bit i think. Had a new belt not long ago and that cost a good bit so i will see if its that for sure before i get that done i think. Thanks for the info, 19 quid sound great its the labour charge that stings me.

if you can accelerate through the knocking and then it returns again afterwards i'd suggest something more sinister, pump timing advance mechanism maybe, but without hearing it all these suggestions kind of pale into irrelevance really

:)Does the engine perform properly?

To be honest the old truck is going like a bomb. I changed the oil changed the diesel filter and since then it has run really well. I wrote in another post about a problem i had and this never really got resolved, Its a flat spot, after i have been idling, it only happens when the engine is really hot. If i am in traffic and then pull away as i go for second gear or there abouts the engine goes flat, i can drive through it and all is good again. fine at any other time 30, 40, right up to 70 MPH no problem. Just this flat spot like i said. Dont know if this makes sense, or if it is related?

if you can accelerate through the knocking and then it returns again afterwards i'd suggest something more sinister, pump timing advance mechanism maybe, but without hearing it all these suggestions kind of pale into irrelevance really

You are right its hard to explain and it would probably be obvious if you could hear it. I can only thank you for having a pop at it. I had a problem with a strange jingling noise i thought was coming from the gearbox. After posting it on here it was sorted, I was just hoping for the same with this.