A strange "whine" when under load

Hi folks

I've got a year 2000 (X) Octy TDi SLX, the one with the 110 bhp lump. For the last couple of weeks, i've been getting an occassional "whine" when pulling from a standing start. It started only when the car was cold, but is no happening more regularly.

I've worked out it's got to be either 'box or clutch related, and not sticky brakes as i can replicate the problem if i engage the hand brake on a hill and put the engine under load without disengaging the hand brake.

The whine under these conditions is quite loud and you can feel the car judder ever so slightly to. Any advice is much appreciated.

:thumbup:

That sounds like an engine mount problem. I had the same symptoms on my old XR2i and my 2.0 diesel astra.

It noise is from the CV joints. When a transverse engine accelerates it will tilt towards the bulk head of the car. The rubber mounts slowly wear and the engine 'twists'more than normal causing the CV joints to work under xtra pressure causing the noise.

I mechanic will be able to see which one is worn. Its usually the gear box mount.

Accelerate from lowish revs in second gear so the engine is working quite hard, then harshly lift your foot of the accelerater, if there is a harsh bang then it is almost certainly an engine mount of some sort. The bang is the engine dropping into place on a worn mount.

That sounds like an engine mount problem. I had the same symptoms on my old XR2i and my 2.0 diesel astra.

It noise is from the CV joints. When a transverse engine accelerates it will tilt towards the bulk head of the car. The rubber mounts slowly wear and the engine 'twists'more than normal causing the CV joints to work under xtra pressure causing the noise.

I mechanic will be able to see which one is worn. Its usually the gear box mount.

Accelerate from lowish revs in second gear so the engine is working quite hard, then harshly lift your foot of the accelerater, if there is a harsh bang then it is almost certainly an engine mount of some sort. The bang is the engine dropping into place on a worn mount.

Cheers. If i can shake off this bug i'll get out and give that a try. I'm also into self-maintenance, so i'll have a look under the car and see if i can see a worn mount!