Anyone else had issues with Fabia VRS handbrake mechanism?

Just had my car back from my local mechanic after having it adjusted again.

I had the rear discs and pads changed back last May/ June (not my usual mechanic) and the handbrake was fine for a while, then all of a sudden it started only pulling up on one side, and on steep inclines it would take around 10 clicks to hold and even then you could literatlly push (!) the car back and you could hear it struggling.

It went in for a service in August with my local trusted mechanic and he said that whoever did the change over hadn't adjusted the mechanism on the back of the caliper properly on the one side, so he took it all off cleaned it all out and re-adjusted it. He said one caliper was sticking very slightly on the rears but not to worry about it as he said a lot of small cars with rear disc brakes get it because they see so little use and over time the mechanism's just start to fail through under-use.

Anyway all was fine for around 2 months when it started doing it again, after I had it adjusted it took around 4-5 clicks to engage fully on a steep incline, and 1-2 clicks on the flat. Now 2 months later it started taking 8 on a steep incline, and again was only engaging on the one side, and could be pushed backwards if out of gear.

Went in today and its back to how it was in June, however my mechanic said that if it goes again he suspects it could be a problem with the mechanism on the caliper - he said that after doing a few checks and tests it looks as if on the one side the handbrake mechanism seems to be winding the wrong way! And not disengaging fully.

He said that the only real cure would be a new caliper on that side.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem?

How much is a new rear caliper? Or would a good condition 2nd hand item do the job?

Many thanks.

I could possibly have the same problem bud... just dunno yet... not had a look will wait till summertime. :)

and me :mad:

unfortunatly i need a clutch and flywheel first

is there anything i need to spray /wash/tweek/poke/prod or hit with a big ******** hammer ......or should i just stop using the handbrake :confused:

Can't offer any real help but have found that the vRS does have a lame handbrake in general, even compared to my Fabia Elegance that had Discs on the back.

Mine has always been "Graunchey" (think that's a technical term as my Mechanic uses it ;) )

Since he serviced the car it's been better but still 4 - 5 clicks to hold on anything other than flat... I found pushing on the brake pedal once the hand brakes applied (engine running) seems to seat the pads better before you leave it.