Fabia boot release (cable)

MattHirst

Hi everyone,

Ever since i have got my Fabia (15th Jan), the boot release has been an annoying little gremlin. Well 99% of the time if you pull on the lever to the side of the footwell it won't release the boot all the way (it seems to go onto another 'latch'). Well around 25% of the time if you pull it again slowly it will release fully so you can open the boot. The rest of the time i end up having to wedge my keys under the boot release lever to hold it up, or hold it up while someone opens my boot.

So the main cause i was thinking is that the cable has a bit of slack in it, i have looked behind the little cover that surrounds the boot catch/lock and noticed that there is an assortment of nuts so you can tighten it up (i'm familar with this setup, its the same as clutch cables on bikes). But before i started attacking my car with spanners i thought i'd ask on here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt:)

Never had to ,but from having the big cover off to fit a motor to the other side (use normal unlock for manual release and cable operated ,via motor via radio control to open from outside car ) -it would look that way -Haynes (in unimitable haynes fashion) simply says "adjust the remote release cable for the tailgait striker so that the handle operates correctly",and shows a picture of the end of the cable at the tailgate complete with bowden cable ,locknuts et all .Another picture shows a close up of the cable end .

Hi Matt,

I used to have exactly the same problem until this week, when I replaced the catch with a motorised one. If you can get a good view of the catch (I just pulled off the whole boot lip trim) you'll where the cable is attached to the catch. You'll want to adjust the big screw circled to fine tune the boot open lever.

Cheers,

Paul

27247.attach

Isn't there a grab handle/switch thing on the actaul tailgate above the number plate on the hatchbacks then?

My Hatch only has the handle down by the driver -except for my home rigged remote opener .And thats a question for ninjajebus- where did you get the motorised catch -tried my localmain dealers stores to try and find out how it was done on the plush motors ,but never found a storeman that could locate part by name ,not number -hence my door lock motor with a cable to the unused side of the catch (motor mounted in boot )

I got the motorised catch from a scrapyard, it cost me about a tenner. I don't have the microswitch boot handle tho, I already had a central locking remote with a button on the fob for the boot and from what I read it seemed like an awful lot of work. I'm looking to retro-fit front electric windows next, maybe after that I might go back to the tailgate switch.

Thanks everyone, sorted it today :)

Ended up taking the whole trim off (Well the one off the boot lip) as there wasn't much room to get in with just removing the weather guard or whatever the haynes manual calls it.

Now releases with just 1 pull of the lever :)

Thanks again

Matt

• 8 years later...