In need of enlightenment

SmArt-E

Sorry guys i am new to this part of motoring. But could someone explain to what VAG is and how it would benefit me. i dont mind how technical it gets ( I can look it up)

Your car has a computer network which controls everything from the engine through to the courtesy lights. These computers all send signals between each other. VCDS is a computer program that allows you to check for faults, analyse data and change settings. It is not a tool to change an engine control unit map to make it go faster.

It can save you trips to the dealer and money if you have any warning lights come on.

VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) is software and hardware that turns your PC into a factory level diagnostic tool for VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/Bentley GT/Spyker models. The system communicates to all diagnostic capable modules in the car, allowing the user to query the module for fault information and real time data. It also allows the user to view and modify the settings for the module. Last, it provides means to tell the module to go through its available test and calibration functions.

For more information, visit the Ross-Tech website.

Thanks for the information, next question I have a warning light on. I have just had my DMF replaced. Also my air inlet to my turbo popped off yesterday. Would the VAG show me if I had other problems with the calibration of my MAS and would I be able to change any settings, or would you know anyone in the Northwest / Manchester, Blackburn area who would be able to assist. For a couple of beers of course :)

Btw

I was already aware that this tool was not used to remap the ECU.

Edited by SmArt-E

..... I have a warning light on. I have just had my DMF replaced. Also my air inlet to my turbo popped off yesterday. Would the VAG show me if I had other problems with the calibration of my MAS

Yes, VCDS will show any and all diagnostic trouble codes present. VCDS will let you look at live data so that you can determine if things are correct (assuming you understand the things you are looking at).

and would I be able to change any settings,
fordfan already answered this for you when he said: " It is not a tool to change an engine control unit map to make it go faster."
or would you know anyone in the Northwest / Manchester, Blackburn area who would be able to assist. For a couple of beers of course :)
Can't help you there. I'm on the other side of the large pond!

"Would the VAG show me if I had other problems with the calibration of my MAS and would I be able to change any settings" I think what I should have said, would I be able to adjust the calibration of the MAS if it was showing high or low.

I am aware that this tool would is not used to remap. I am not interested in using it for that I would have no idea were to start and would leave that up to the experts to make my car go faster.