Air con - not cold

First day of decent (warm) weather since I bought the Octy and cranked the climate control down to "LO".Except it isn't "LO" it's more like "TEPID" or "MILD" - but I guess that didn't fit on the little dot-matrix display screen.To put it simply, LO doesn't feel any cooler than setting the climate control to 16 degrees (the lowest number before it goes to LO).Normal, or not? Been discussing this on the Octavia I forum because somebody raised it on there, but thought you lot might have some other ideas?Car is an 07 plate, only done 13k miles, so surely too early for consumable parts in the aircon to be going pop?Ta in advance...SW

Firstly have you noticed any funny smell (ie a sicky smell?) as mine did the same thing as yours a few months back. All you need to do, is a re gas. I took mine down to my local Skoda garage (cost £35) they flushed the system and re gassed it. Worked ever since (Just hope my new LE VrS is ok!)

Hope this helps

Robin

First day of decent (warm) weather since I bought the Octy and cranked the climate control down to "LO".Except it isn't "LO" it's more like "TEPID" or "MILD" - but I guess that didn't fit on the little dot-matrix display screen.To put it simply, LO doesn't feel any cooler than setting the climate control to 16 degrees (the lowest number before it goes to LO).Normal, or not? Been discussing this on the Octavia I forum because somebody raised it on there, but thought you lot might have some other ideas?Car is an 07 plate, only done 13k miles, so surely too early for consumable parts in the aircon to be going pop?Ta in advance...SW

You could well have a fault compressor this is pretty common for the octavia II i have changed loads of these under warranty get it into your local dealer they should be able to sort it for you!!! You could take a look your self to confim the fault look at the compressor pulley with the engine running make sure the center of the pulley is rotating and not just the outside as it has a shear pulley on it as the compressor runs all the time so the shear pulley stops it from wrecking the belt when the compressor siezes which they do frequently!!!!!!!!

The sicky smell from the air con is nothing to do with the gas charge. Its bacteria in the evap coil and drip tray. The pollen filter went manky in my L&K after about 14 months, changing it made the air con smell like brand new.

Check the condenser hasn't taken any hard whacks from stones. Thats a sure way to lose gas from the system.

I had a compressor fail on my Octy.

I had just bought it and we were driving home and we tried the AC - warm, certainly not cold at all (so much for the xx point check these cars go through!).

Anyway, took it back, they tried a regas and that did nothing.

Turned out to be a faulty compressor - thankfully under warranty.

Otherwise we were told it was a 2 man, 2hr+ job running at silly money!

Needing a re-gas is the most common fix for this sort of thing. On my previous Audi A4 you had a pressure switch on the side of the condensor that used to fail frequently too, not sure if the Octavia wil have the same sort of thing?!

My wife's 07 VX Corsa has had the same problem on and off from new no pun intended; two new compressors, some pipework and various seals later currently OK.

This is in spite of following the advice to run the A/C as much as possible.