Do I need special coolant for VRS?

I have some G12+ here from when I had a new rad put in. Depends if u fancy a trip to worcs tho lol. Am in Stockport in a couple weeks tho - will swap ya some G12 for a lift from train station to mates house!

Further to the 'just add water' advice, G12 will supposedly perform OK for the UK climate in mixes up to 60:40 either way (it leaves the factory at 50:50). Therefore one or two top-ups with water will do you fine. Personally, I would use some demineralised water to be on the safe side. It's only a few pence... :thumbup:

With a bit of research (OK, reading the label! :P ) I discovered that Halfords Advanced Protection Anti-Freeze / Coolant, meets the TL-774D spec, which happens also to be the G12 spec (although why it couldn't just say that straight-out is beyond me :rolleyes: ). Came in handy when SWMBO's car reverted to air cooling, though...! :eek:

Once you've topped it upo, it's time to start worrying about why you're losing coolant.

I'd say it depends on the rate, if you only have to add a few ml every month, I wouldn't bother and just keep topping-up, as there are so many things to check. The seal round the expansion tank cap and the CTS have led to slightly more rapid leaks for me and SWMBO, though...

Mine looses coolant but I think the expansion tank is leaking round the middle as there is a pink residue and it's not from the overflow....(not loads tho')

Anyhow, the sodding level light keeps coming on now as it's faulty and the level is well above the low mark so a new tank at the weekend me thinks.....

Last time I had any, it was G12+...

Are you loosing much?

I haven't heard of may head gaskets go on these engines, but someone in the know would be able to say if they are common?

I haven't heard of may head gaskets go on these engines, but someone in the know would be able to say if they are common?

Not one I've come across, but it's easy enough to tell without pressure-testing:

eBay.co.uk Guides - HOW TO TEST FOR A FAILED HEAD GASKET

(about the only thing I trust on the bay of fleas... :rolleyes::D )

Thanks for all the replies.

I noticed it was maybe 5mms below min, been like that for sometime. :eek:

Maybe I will just go to VW stealership.

Moved from Manc sometime ago - ta for offer!