My Fabia's strange sounds....

Any help with the following issues with a Fabia 1.4 2001 8v Estate would be much appreciated!

1) If the car is driven above 60mph (100km/h) for any length of time (i.e. above 3000 revs), the engine makes a sound (something like a very quick chas-chas-chas-chas-chas…) that is directly proportional in speed to revs—if you pull over and allow the engine to idle the sound also slows down. If you turn off the engine for a short while and then set off again, the sound goes away of its own accord (unless you drive at higher speed again, in which case it returns). Could this be a problem with the fabled timing belt, or the timing belt tensioner? Not clear if timing belt problem actually applies to the old 1.4 8v engine; belt has not been changed yet, though change is prob. due now that car has passed the 50.000 mile mark.

2) Front of Fabia makes a very strange sound, which I can only really describe as a low-frequency ‘squeak’ (realise that sounds like a contradiction in terms) after the car has hit a hole or gone over a speed bump. This noise sees more likely to occur if conditions are wet or damp outside, and on coldish days. Initially thought it was a shock-absorber, but seems to be something bigger and closer to the back of the engine—almost as if it were an engine mounting issue.

3) Wipers seem to have a mind of their own—they do a single wipe every now and then, usually at night when I have the lights on, but the wipers off!

Again, any suggestions much appreciated! --Bristolian

2) Front of Fabia makes a very strange sound, which I can only really describe as a low-frequency ‘squeak’ (realise that sounds like a contradiction in terms) after the car has hit a hole or gone over a speed bump. This noise sees more likely to occur if conditions are wet or damp outside, and on coldish days. Initially thought it was a shock-absorber, but seems to be something bigger and closer to the back of the engine—almost as if it were an engine mounting issue.

Hi,

That sounds like the start of the wishbone (console) bushes going. They went on my Y reg 1.9 SDI. Started out making that noise and gradually got worse and handling was effected.

Jim

Hello TriggerFish

Many thanks for this comment. I went back and checked Haynes, and realised I was mixing up the 1.4 OHV and the 1.4 DOHC engines. And by golly you're right--it is a chain and not a belt. That actually makes more sense from the point of view of the sounds I've been hearing, which seem closer to a clanking CHAIN than a belt.

Thanks again, B.

I am in a similar boat to you, i have a strange squeek but it seems to be coming from the wheel/hub area rather than the engine. I made a thread and someone said it was the brake pads, but when i brake the squeek goes away.

Also have the random wiper problem, although it hasn't done it for quite a while. Again it seems to be at night with the lights on. I had to get some new wiper blades because it totally knackered them, especially the drivers side.

I am in a 2002 1.4 mpi aswell.

Hello TriggerFish

Many thanks for this comment. I went back and checked Haynes, and realised I was mixing up the 1.4 OHV and the 1.4 DOHC engines. And by golly you're right--it is a chain and not a belt. That actually makes more sense from the point of view of the sounds I've been hearing, which seem closer to a clanking CHAIN than a belt.

Thanks again, B.

Your most welcome.

If the chas noise is coming from the timing drive (or auxilliaries drive) you should be able to induce it by driving at the same revs in the intermediates (maybe 3_000) that you need for 100kph in top.

Thanks Matt and Ken for the thoughts and suggestions.

It's strangely comforting to know that someone else has same wiper problems! It sounds like there's a bug of some sort in the electrics. As the saying goes, 'old age doesn't come alone!'

Will try the suggestion of just revving the engine at 3000 rpm to see if the same noise occurs. Thanks to this website, I've discovered that there is what sounds like a good independent VAG garage in the Bristol area, Streetwise. I called them up and explained the problem, and they promised to have a look, or rather, a listen. Reassuringly, the man thought that it was unlikely to be a problem with the timing chain, but thought he might be able to tell just by listening to the engine. Will report back on any findings!

Wishing everyone a good weekend, Bristolian