Aircon whistle/hiss when turned on...??

Hi all,

had my 05 Fabia serviced not so long ago and the day after it was done, we had our first 'hot' day down here and I flicked the aircon on. After about 5 seconds I was aware of a 'hissing' noise (imagine a gas cylinder leaking) coming from the air ducts which stopped when I turned the aircon off.

I took it straight back to the Skoda garage and was told that it was the aircon clutch slipping (although the guy who investigated it had never heard one before...?)

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them or can anyone shed any further light on this as to what this could be? (apart from expensive!). I was advised to continue to use it and see if the noise stopped but today turning the aircon on still causes the noise, but there is no effect at all and no cooling of me happens :mad:

Any diagnosis or suggestions much appreciated.

TIA,

Dave.