Stereo not switching on

Hi Guys,

Im having a problem with my stereo in my Octy 51 plate VRS

What i did was try replacing the original stereo with a 2Din.

Anyway as i unplugging it i heard a spark.

Needless to say none of my stereos are working in the car now.

Ive tried changing the 25amp fuse. still no joy. I can also hear hissing from the tweaters now.

Thanks guys.

Oh.. Will it show up on a VAG-COM?

Im not sure of the wiring of the Mk1, but generally in any car with this problem, if you can do any of this it may help narrow it down, you need a multimeter.

When working on it, disconnect the battery.

Only reconnect to test one thing at a time.

I would make sure the HU connector(s) dont have the following;

- Any loose wires

- Too much bare metal or strands showing

- Frayed, Split or snapped wiring.

I would then check the direct positive and ignition positive for any voltage at the HU plug. Check ALL the fuses not just the one linked to the HU.

Check as much of the wiring and connectors from the fuse box to stereo as well, especially if the car has had any previous ICE alterations. With the wad of wiring behind head units its easy to wire it wrong or for wires to wiggle loose from connectors and short circuit when inserting and removing HU's.

If voltage is present try connecting the radio that didnt spark when taken out (you can prob rule out that as faulty.) without the speakers and other peripherals connected.

Has the car had any stereo modifications that you know of?

Is this the first time the stereo has been out?

Hope this helps ;)

Thank you Rhoobard.

This is the 1st time the stereo has been taken out.

Ill have a look at the wires tonight. Im planing on hooking it upto VAGCOM tonight, Do you know if it will show on there??

Thanks again.

Unfortunately Ive never used VAG-COM, and couldnt really comment, but I would hazard a guess that it might tell you if there is an electrical fault somewhere that is linked to your problem.

As its the first time the stereo has been taken out in 7-8 years, theres always the possibility that because the wires haven't had much movement, one of the wires has become a little brittle and snapped inside the insulation.

Hope this helps a little.

;)

Edited by Rhoobarb

Unless you got a wire tester your going to find it hard to find out which wire is snapped.

If it is then it shouldn't be to hard as its just a case of swapping the broken wire for a new one (depending on were the break is)

Carl:thumbup:

if it has snapped it would be near the HU as those are the wires youve moved, it would be a simple case of cut, strip and terminal blocks/crimps then wrap it up in tape.

A snapped wire is very unlikely but possible so I wouldnt worry too much just yet, but keep it in mind before replacing parts. ;)

If your thinking of investigating this yourself a multimeter is a must. It will allow you to check the voltages, fuses and wire circuits.