New Car Discount ?

Is there a good level of discount on new Octavia's ?

The reason I ask is that they do seem to depreciate somewhat !

Taken from Parkers:

Honda Civic 1.8 EX i-shift 2007/07 - New = £17927 - p/x Now = £9255

Skoda Octavia 2.0 FSI L&K 5d 2007/07 - New = £17927 - p/x now = £7770

VW Golf 2.0 GT FSI 5d 2007/07 - New = £17827 - p/x now = £9680

Is there a good level of discount on new Octavia's ?

The reason I ask is that they do seem to depreciate somewhat !

Taken from Parkers:

You have just picked 2 models with best in class residuals to compare the Octavia with...

The vRS TDI estate has the best residuals in the Octavia lineup, the L&K petrol hatch has the worst, as after 3 years it's worth pretty much the same as an Elegance, but cost 2.5k more new.

I would take the valuations in Parkers Guide with a pinch of salt.

All the dealers use a combination of Glasses Guide which is used for judging retail prices and CAP black book which corresponds to what the car is generally worth at auction.

A cars value all depends on what you get on the day. Is the dealer desparate for sales? Do they think they will sell the car you are trading in? Are they selling the car you are trading in to another car dealer?

With Skoda, the diesel models hold their value better along with the petrol VRs models.

The other posts are correct on the new car front, you should be able to get a fair dicount from the retail price of the new car as registrations are down this year and dealers are all paid bonuses on how many cars they register each month. Try to do a deal with the dealer of your choice at the end of the month. Thats the best time to get deals.

Good luck with the car hunt

Thanks for the info.

The model I will will be interested in early next year is the 1.8 L&K DSG so it looks like I need to push a bit harder at purchase time.