valve on turbo

ive just got my vrs last week so sorry for all the questions so soon.When i bought the vrs the engine management light was on i took it to my local garage on saturday he hooked it up to a computer wich said one of the valves on the turbo was playing up he said theres three or four valves on the turbo and it would be a guessing game as to wich one it was he said each valve could cost £50 a pop so if he got to the last one it could cost £200 alone for parts is this true about not knowing wich valve it could be or is there a way to find out with out replacing them all.?:thumbup:

ps the turbo seems absouloutley fine to drive at present doesnt seem any loss of power.

not sure pal is it worth me phoneing garage tommorow to find out what the error code was.ie would it identify the individual valve or would it just be a general code for them all.

This might be irrelevant but he turned the light of for me it lasted about 24 hours before it reappeared.

Have a look in the VAG-COM forum for someone near you, and ask them to scan the car, and post the results here. If the garage is using a more generic code reader it probably won't decode the scan as well as VAG-COM will.

hey up mate, get the mechanic to plug in again and make a note of the code then tell him to clear it, then pop the bonnet and remove the engine cover, with the ignition on not running unplug each sensor individually then match the code it brings on then its a winner, to rule out the recirc valve you will need the engine running and remove the vacuum and rev it. im a mechanic and we use this method all the time. let us know how you get on

hey up mate, get the mechanic to plug in again and make a note of the code then tell him to clear it, then pop the bonnet and remove the engine cover, with the ignition on not running unplug each sensor individually then match the code it brings on then its a winner, to rule out the recirc valve you will need the engine running and remove the vacuum and rev it. im a mechanic and we use this method all the time. let us know how you get on

thx for advice pal .if he has just a general computer not the one a dealer would use would this method still work

just an update waiting for my mechanic to price the parts.took car to a different garage to see if they could pinpoint the fault he wanted £30 quid for ecu test so i let him do it for me as i thought it would be cheaper in the long run as im not working now.but it came back with same faults but he didnt charge as they where the same but he also didnt hand over the printout but he showed me and from what i saw it said general pressure drop in the turbo system.performance wise it is fine but i want to get it sorted as i have daughter coming along shortly and want the car to be ship shape for driving her about cheerrs guys