Broken VRS - Lost reverse gear

:(

Ive brought a 06 VRS last weekend, but today I lost 1st and 2nd gear for a second...

Pulled over to the side of the road, pumped the clutch and they came back, but then lost reverse.

Ive called the garage, who said it could be the following :

1) Synco (new gearbox)

2) Hydraulics

3) Master Cylinder.

Anyone heard of this before ?

Cheers

Glen

Are you sure it's not just a broken gearchange linkage or cable? The only likely one from your list is a master or slave cylinder.

When you try to select the gears, does the lever move correctly, or is it that you can't push it into gear? Is it any different with the engine off?

It is unlikely to be synchro, unless it is grating into the gear.

Try to describe *exactly* what happens.

Ive just been out popped the bonnet again in anger.

Noticed one of the linkages the gear shifter was disconnected.

Hmmm feeling a little better now. Still going to cost me money for a new linkage as the bolt has sheared clean off.

Might be an excuse to buy a short shift while the gar

Had something similar happen to me although was a little dramatic as it happened at the start of our family holiday in France but the result was a new gearbox .................. heres hoping you can negotiate something under warranty!

Gearbox Gone Bang

.................... and taken from the thread by one on the forums Techies (Lummox):

"Could well be a back bearing issue. The new six spped gearboxes are crap compared to the old ones. A roller bearing has replaced the old taper bearing at the end of the first motion shaft. The bearing breaks down, gets noisy and ends up spitting out of the end of the gearbox. Done at least half a dozen in the last few months. VW repair just about all boxes, pretty sure Skoda are the same. Casings etc can all be replaced."

Similar thing happened to me in my MkI Octy several years ago (maybe eight or so?) ... I'd just done a very rapid three point turn on a fairly busy road in Islington and found myself with no reverse and, if I remember correctly, only 3rd and 5th.

The guy from Green Flag correctly identified a broken linkage arm (immediately at the point where the rod enters the gearbox). He rang a few local VW dealers, but none had the part (which was priced at about £90 back then) in stock. He offerred to 'jerry rig' a new connection just to get me home if that was what I wanted (alternative was to wait for their tow/lift truck to take me and the car home - about 50 miles or so). I agreed and he managed to make a new linkage just with a longish bolt and a few nuts - that's what I call a real mechanic! The temporary fix was still in place and working when I sold the car in March! (Yes, I was honest and pointed it out to the new owner!)

Sorry all for not replying last night my laptop went bang too !!!!! (that wasnt a linkage, more operator error)

Thanks for all your comments. Im so happy the car doesnt need a new gear box as that would have been the revo money I had put a side down the pan (missus thinks it's for a new front door- pah).

To be fair to the garage, I called them last night and he said he would get on to it this morning. I thnk he was happy when I said it was a broken linkage too.